Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Shooting

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PTM View Post
    I would throw out there if your mounting your gun and waiting for the bird to create distance a guy or gal can end up aiming taking the focus off the bird and onto your bead, a recipe for a follow up shot. Good shooters like Quailhound or CarpTom or pulling the trigger shortly after they mount, a very instinctive or snapshot style. Your choke also may be tight for close flushing birds.
    Yep. First, when you're able to take a second & get your feet set right, the bird creates its own distance. By not mounting the gun immediately, you're seeing the bird more clearly & better able to focus on its head. Your brain takes over, getting your gun swinging as you mount it (if not before), such that at the point your gun is completely mounted, lead has been accomplished & you're ready to pull the trigger. It's one smooth operation, rather than a mount plus a swing/shot.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Minnetonka/Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,747

    Default

    PTM: Why aren't I included in the "good shooters?" I'm crushed!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    PTM: Why aren't I included in the "good shooters?" I'm crushed!
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Jon although you are a fine wing shot, I attribute most of your success to the excellent work of your k9 partner Max, he gives you an unfair advantage. ��

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Minnetonka/Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,747

    Default

    Thanks, Pat.

    He does smoke them out - skunks, porkies and occasional rooster.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    PTM: Why aren't I included in the "good shooters?" I'm crushed!
    It’s not like I shot you in the hand, my apologies.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    basehor, ks
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PTM View Post
    I would throw out there if your mounting your gun and waiting for the bird to create distance a guy or gal can end up aiming taking the focus off the bird and onto your bead, a recipe for a follow up shot. Good shooters like Quailhound or CarpTom or pulling the trigger shortly after they mount, a very instinctive or snapshot style. Your choke also may be tight for close flushing birds.
    Patrick it is funny you say that as I have always been a snap shooter. I typically carry a lighter gun and am always at a ready position. I have found i loose that instinctive shooting ability when I carry the gun at my side or over my shoulder. You will almost never see me carry it like that unless walking out of a field. On the flush I will say I rarely miss. The issues I have are with pass shooting or longer shots. I believe I try to press those with the perfect lead or think about it too much.Perfect example was last Friday while we were hunting. Missed the first bird twice ( long shot angling away) on that multiple flush, then killed the next 3 with 3 shots on the rise while breaking open a double and loading twice. That probably stems from the fact that I rarely shoot trap or skeet, in fact I have not practiced shooting in a long time. Often it is about a year between me picking up a gun. If I practiced those pass shots I would imagine the instinct would come. Like most things in my life too much thinking leads to over complication and eventual failure.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    555

    Default

    I had a couple epic misses on our trip, one was a close flushing rooster that got hung up in the cattails, I did as I described and premounted the gun, whiffed and then heard Brian mutter come on Man, I started laughing it was pretty funny. I’ve found the best recipie for those are to block them out and move on. One other thing is a straight away bird is probably gaining altitude that is undecernable to the shooter. The tendency for clays is to bust them right before they start going down. To me like you said if a guy just shoots without thinking about it it usually ends with a downed bird. As I’ve gotten older I don’t step into Birds like I should but end up in a failed mister twister pose. I wish we were back there already. Self analyzing my shooting is more intriguing than any of the current news stories.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    basehor, ks
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PTM View Post
    I had a couple epic misses on our trip, one was a close flushing rooster that got hung up in the cattails, I did as I described and premounted the gun, whiffed and then heard Brian mutter come on Man, I started laughing it was pretty funny. I’ve found the best recipie for those are to block them out and move on. One other thing is a straight away bird is probably gaining altitude that is undecernable to the shooter. The tendency for clays is to bust them right before they start going down. To me like you said if a guy just shoots without thinking about it it usually ends with a downed bird. As I’ve gotten older I don’t step into Birds like I should but end up in a failed mister twister pose. I wish we were back there already. Self analyzing my shooting is more intriguing than any of the current news stories.
    That's funny he would say that with the way he shoots. Didn't he run out of shells after the second field with like one bird to show for it?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Maybe, but this pheasant I missed was like suspended in mid flight from the tangle of cattails, gave extra time for me to prepare, and it’s top speed was about 40 percent of a regular pheasant, I got two immediately after that. I believe the comment to be appropriate, we both had a good laugh, we finished the day together. My porcupine victim put somethings together and was showing some good promise for the future. The problem with those SD trips is they go by too fast.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •