Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A few observations from SD

The lever is very difficult to engage - getting your finger under to tab one almost needs a screwdriver to lift the lever. I have an very old A5 in a 12 ga. and the lever lifts easily, by comparison. Obviously was used over the years...

I do love the gun and my shooting has dramatically improved. Just need a fix on the lever...

Just got back from the Pierre area. It was pretty warm with temps in the low 60's. My dogs handled it pretty well considering. I had to make sure to keep them watered. I hunted 3.5 days and definitely put in some miles walking and driving. The crops were coming out fast and furious. I would say there was less than 40% of the corn in the field and probably about the same for the sun flowers. I shot 3,2 and 3 birds for the first three days and nothing on the last before I headed out. I think the bird numbers were about the same as last year. There were some pockets of birds but there were also many spots that I thought would hold something and the dogs never even got birdy. There were quite a few hunters out and about. I am pretty sure I saw a caravan of guys hunting for the Governors hunt. about 6 rigs and maybe 15 to 20 guys. Some of them looked pretty unfriendly. I thought bird hunting was about having a good time but I guess not. It seems like every year more cover gets mowed down. Also over the past 7 years then numbers just seem to keep declining. I was talking with the conservation officer and he was trying to get us to try and get more hunters out there because the number of hunters has been going down. Really nice guy.

Observations: The birds were almost always by corn or shelter belts. The walk-in-area program is a sham. Almost everyone of them is a cut wheat field or some barren wasteland. I saw one WIA that was grazed to nothing. Even the wet spots had no cover. Why pay these guys money to give access to something nobody is ever going to hunt. Heck the farmers I talked with agreed the WIA program is messed up. I guess it gives the state more acreage of public land to brag about. It is false advertising to say these are hunt-able. The School lands are the same thing. Those things are grazed to nothing so they really aren't worth mentioning as hunt-able public land. The good public land was being pounded by serveral people each day so that made things tough. I think it is going to be interesting to see if there is a continued decline in people hunting in SD. If you look at the drop in small game license around the country its not looking good. Not everyone wants to pay to play. Personally that style of hunting isn't my thing anyway. I love to be out there with my dogs and enjoying the surroundings. As the hunting places lease up more farm land for their operations it is getting harder to get access. Not impossible but much harder. It will be interesting to see where things go in the future.

All that being said I love hunting behind my dogs and there is nothing better than the sights and sounds of a bird flushing up close. Good luck to everyone heading out.

We just got back Monday from Pierre. We hunted north of there on private land and saw tons of birds. We also saw a bunch driving every morning. The property we were on still had most of, if not all of it sunflowers still in. We are heading back in 2.5 weeks and will hopefully have the same luck.
    I was wondering if there was any decent sharptail hunting close to that area?

Quote Originally Posted by Rude One View Post
    Just got back from the Pierre area. It was pretty warm with temps in the low 60's. My dogs handled it pretty well considering. I had to make sure to keep them watered. I hunted 3.5 days and definitely put in some miles walking and driving. The crops were coming out fast and furious. I would say there was less than 40% of the corn in the field and probably about the same for the sun flowers. I shot 3,2 and 3 birds for the first three days and nothing on the last before I headed out. I think the bird numbers were about the same as last year. There were some pockets of birds but there were also many spots that I thought would hold something and the dogs never even got birdy. There were quite a few hunters out and about. I am pretty sure I saw a caravan of guys hunting for the Governors hunt. about 6 rigs and maybe 15 to 20 guys. Some of them looked pretty unfriendly. I thought bird hunting was about having a good time but I guess not. It seems like every year more cover gets mowed down. Also over the past 7 years then numbers just seem to keep declining. I was talking with the conservation officer and he was trying to get us to try and get more hunters out there because the number of hunters has been going down. Really nice guy.

Observations: The birds were almost always by corn or shelter belts. The walk-in-area program is a sham. Almost everyone of them is a cut wheat field or some barren wasteland. I saw one WIA that was grazed to nothing. Even the wet spots had no cover. Why pay these guys money to give access to something nobody is ever going to hunt. Heck the farmers I talked with agreed the WIA program is messed up. I guess it gives the state more acreage of public land to brag about. It is false advertising to say these are hunt-able. The School lands are the same thing. Those things are grazed to nothing so they really aren't worth mentioning as hunt-able public land. The good public land was being pounded by serveral people each day so that made things tough. I think it is going to be interesting to see if there is a continued decline in people hunting in SD. If you look at the drop in small game license around the country its not looking good. Not everyone wants to pay to play. Personally that style of hunting isn't my thing anyway. I love to be out there with my dogs and enjoying the surroundings. As the hunting places lease up more farm land for their operations it is getting harder to get access. Not impossible but much harder. It will be interesting to see where things go in the future.

All that being said I love hunting behind my dogs and there is nothing better than the sights and sounds of a bird flushing up close. Good luck to everyone heading out.
    Agree 100%. Well said. Can't wait to get going myself in a few days with my best hunting buddy and my "best friend" GSP!

Quote Originally Posted by Rude One View Post

My group has been hunting the same general area at the same time for 4 years and although we saw more birds on the roads, there were hardly any birds on public land. Everyone we talked to at the hotel and bar said the same thing. We might try later in the year next year. Most of the crops hadn't been harvested so that attributed to some of the lack of success. The drought was really bad on the birds last year, but we managed more birds on public ground.

Just finished helping with some corn Combining West and south of Mobridge along the Missouri River. Was very impressed with the number of pheasants I saw each day. We were harvesting for a rather large land owner that lives out of state. Not sure if he hunts or lets other hunt his property. As an East river farmer I was very impressed with the pheasant numbers in the corn with some pigeon grass with sloughs next to the corn fields. SDviking

Just got done with a 3 day trip hunting public in east central SD. 3 days, 4, guys, 2 dogs. Didn’t kill a bird. Very few birds on public land, and the ones we did see were wilder than a March hare. Disappointing to say the least, but I’ll be back in December to try it again, hopefully with better results.

Just got back from my first trip to South Dakota and it was awesome! I got there last Saturday about 2:30 and started hunting. I hunted South Central the first afternoon and then moved North to various areas for the next 6 days hunting public land. Ended up shooting 18 pheasant and 1 sharptail (I gave 3 pheasant away to a guy that left early and had only shot 1 bird just to make sure i stayed within the possession limit). The birds are out there, just have to work for it a little. I hunted by myself for the first 5 days and then hunt with 1 or 2 guys the last 2 days.

UPDATE: Driving back home to Kansas, I decided to stop by a piece of public near Sioux Falls for the heck of it. Wouldn’t you know it, 100 yards from the truck the dog gets up a rooster and hen, and I dumped the rooster. On the board in South Dakota!

Quote Originally Posted by Kansan View Post
    UPDATE: Driving back home to Kansas, I decided to stop by a piece of public near Sioux Falls for the heck of it. Wouldn’t you know it, 100 yards from the truck the dog gets up a rooster and hen, and I dumped the rooster. On the board in South Dakota!
    Congrats Kansan!
    No better way to finish a tough trip!!