Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: A few observations from SD

Agreed, that's why I struggle with this issue. However, The government has subsidized farming marginal land, our tax dollars make it worth it for him to farm marginal land.

Just back from annual trip. 3 hunters and 1 dog. Hunted 5 days from Saturday 11/17 to Wednesday 11/21. Limited every day 45 birds total. But hunted past 4pm each day to get our limit. Hunted public land and minimum maintenance roads. General observation was that birds were fairly similar to LY. Were we fortunate to have good hatches in a couple or our honey holes that helped us greatly. Saw quite a few hunters Saturday and Sunday but felt we had the entire state to ourselves Monday thru Wednesday. Weather was cold, warm, cold, warm. Pheasants didn't seem to change their behavior in any conditions. Definitely have to work for birds. Experience of 15 trips helped us a lot. But you will have to hunt hard.

Perhaps you would share what part of the state you hunted - North? South? Where? You seem to be more successful than most...

thanks!

East River. North of Mitchell. I would draw a triangle from letcher to artesian to woonsocket roughly. We cover a lot of territory. Hunting near picked corn knowing where the birds are traveling to and from has always been our key.

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    East River. North of Mitchell. I would draw a triangle from letcher to artesian to woonsocket roughly. We cover a lot of territory. Hunting near picked corn knowing where the birds are traveling to and from has always been our key.
    If my memory serves me, there really isn't a ton of public land in that triangle you mentioned. I used to hunt private land around letcher and hunted public land in the artesian area for years, but to my memory there is some land buy not a over abundance of it. I know there are a couple big pieces north of Mitchell and to the east a little but don't remember ever seeing or hunting a lot in the area your talking about. Maybe they have added some in the last couple years as I haven't really hunted that area for 3-4 years

We been hunting SD the last four days in two groups. One truck has been getting limits, the other less than half hunting pretty much the same area. Bird numbers are up a little from last year, but not much.