Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Price of a hunting dog?

I don't know what my max would be, but I'm not going to pay more for a specific color, i.e. "silver."
    Greta - 2 year old Small Munsterlander

I think a well bred dog with health clearances would be at least 1K the price would go up to closer to 2K if the sire/dam are titled. If the breeder has large dogs such as labs which notoriously have big litters then I imagine a profit can be made but for breeds like mine (cockers) where 4-6 pups is the norm then it is doubtful much of a profit can be made assuming the breeder does everything right. I speak from experience on this.

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    There's no doubt people who make a living breeding dogs the right way need to be paid...a lot (to me). They've got costs to cover just like anyone else & deserve to make a profit on top of it. Part of my issue is that my WIFE knows you can get a really quality dog for a lot less than pro breeder price. Don't get me wrong. If I absolutely HAD to pay $3,000 for a great dog, I would. Luckily, I don't have to & can apply the difference to braces, cars, college, musical instruments, & other awesome stuff, like cases of bismuth (since 16 ga tungsten-matrix got discontinued). I know, "Who cares what they cost?" is said somewhat tongue-in-cheek. But the same very valid logic put forth by Gatzby and others above could be used for shotguns, trucks, clothing, & all the other gear a pheasant hunter wants to own. It all adds up. It's interesting to see where people's priorities lie. (Recall, I'm hunting only - no tests/trials or breeding. If I were doing those other things, maybe my price point would be vastly different.)
    I could care less what a shotgun cost also. If I want it I buy it. Now gasoline, taxes, and insurance, that is something to complain about. That is money just thrown away.

Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    I could care less what a shotgun cost also. If I want it I buy it. Now gasoline, taxes, and insurance, that is something to complain about. That is money just thrown away.
    great way to look at it.

Who's complaining? You apparently either have so much money that it's not an object, or you don't mind going into debt in order to hunt. So I guess I'm either happy for you, or sad for you.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    Who's complaining? You apparently either have so much money that it's not an object, or you don't mind going into debt in order to hunt. So I guess I'm either happy for you, or sad for you.
    Well I have no debt and don't own a credit card. Besides who mentioned "complaining" about hunting? Feeling guilty?

Hmmm...now this thread seems to be going off the rails!

Now I know you retriever guys are loaded with $$.
    - From the office of Browning, Colt, Winchester & Savage

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    Hmmm...now this thread seems to be going off the rails!
    For some reason A5 didn't like my post.

Besides who mentioned "complaining" about hunting? Feeling guilty?
    What?!?! Has exactly zip to do with my comment. You insinuated I was complaining about the cost of a dog. Nope. Simply pointing out that cost DOES matter to some of us. Happy for you that you can apparently buy any dog, gun, etc. you want. Great job.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster