Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Price of a hunting dog?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    904

    Default Price of a hunting dog?

    Alright, now that we have some people talking on this site I want to bring up a question and see where the chatter goes! What is the top price you would be willing to pay for your next hunting dog? Maybe you run hunt tests and field trials and your price point is different than the guy looking for a dog to pick up a bird and provide 4 more feet on the ground when he is out hunting. I am just curious to what is the limit people will pay for a "good" dog. Your definition might be different than mine of a good dog. Things like health clearances, and titles all play into this equation but let me know your thoughts.

  2. #2

    Default David0311

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Alright, now that we have some people talking on this site I want to bring up a question and see where the chatter goes! What is the top price you would be willing to pay for your next hunting dog? Maybe you run hunt tests and field trials and your price point is different than the guy looking for a dog to pick up a bird and provide 4 more feet on the ground when he is out hunting. I am just curious to what is the limit people will pay for a "good" dog. Your definition might be different than mine of a good dog. Things like health clearances, and titles all play into this equation but let me know your thoughts.
    Joel—
    Couple questions?
    Pup
    Started dog
    Trial potential
    Hunt test potential
    Good Pedegree
    Outstanding potential -Pedegree-

    Good Pedegree—ex. Proven hunting parents -and having produced good pup ect.—$1000-1500
    Trial potential-outstanding Pedegree—won’t find anything (pup) for less than $3000 very bottom-up to 1
    $10000 or more—

    $5000 probably near average. JMO and experience

    NOTE—THIS IS ABOUT WHAT YOU WOULD EXPECT TO PAY-NOT EXACTLY WHAT JOELS QUESTION WAS-
    BUT I DID CHECK RECENTLY ON A POSSIBLE UPCOMING BREEDING AT A FIELD TRAIL AND IT WAS OVER THE TOP END—AND THEY WILL ALL BE SOLD OUT BY DEPOSITE -WHEN THE THE BREEDING IS FINALIZED

    Figured I would get this started—now i’m going to get pop darn and a drink and sit back and wait for it to hit the fan

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Watertown, SD
    Posts
    5,962

    Default

    My feeling is that David is quite high on his prices but he is probably referring to Labs and other retriever breeds. I'm into hunting and NSTRA field trials which is all pointing dogs. I see some very good pups (English Setters, English Pointers, GSP's and Brittany's) in the $1,000 range. A started dog is in the $2,500-3,000 range but once in awhile you will see one for less. In fact I know where there is a very nice started GWP 9 month old for $1,500.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

    Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    basehor, ks
    Posts
    2,487

    Default

    So I had a buddy that bought a high level retriever out of some good stock. Paid 2500.00 for the pup and after a couple months training at 600 a month, the trainer said he didn't feel right taking any more of his money. That dog was worthless in the field. I would say Zeb is right on. It really depends on the breed. Labs and other retrievers can go for insane money. My buddy had a Lab out of some great stock from some field lines. Paid 5k for it as a pup and was paid 1k a poke for a stud fee on it. It was a damned good dog but my that is a lot of grip. I paid 1500 for mine ( which is a lot of money for me) and after a couple months of training i have about 2600 in him. That would probably be my top end. I know most pointing breeds 800-1000 seems to be about right. Setters and some others seem to go a bit more. I do believe you buy the best blood you can afford or sneak by your wife

  5. #5

    Default

    I paid 1500 for my lab, In the future I plan on staying near that price point. Like others have said it's all based on what you're looking for. My thought is come up with a price that works for you and do as much research before buying, so you're in a better position down the road with the dog.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    31

    Default

    I paid $900 for my lab 3 years ago when I picked her up, at least that's what my wife thinks. I did not report the initial $500 deposit. She has a good field trial pedigree and I have been pleased with her hunting ability. Very strong prey drive, good marking and good on picking up downed birds. Not as stylish and wears out faster than previous GSPs

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Price has never been a deciding factor for me. It’s more about timing and a breeding I cannot live with out. Sorry I know this doesnt really answer your question but the cost of the pup is irrelevant compared to the time and energy I plan to invest. Let’s not even talk about the entrance fees I’ve paid the AKC, HRC, and NAHRA over the years $$$$$$
    "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    My feeling is that David is quite high on his prices but he is probably referring to Labs and other retriever breeds. I'm into hunting and NSTRA field trials which is all pointing dogs. I see some very good pups (English Setters, English Pointers, GSP's and Brittany's) in the $1,000 range. A started dog is in the $2,500-3,000 range but once in awhile you will see one for less. In fact I know where there is a very nice started GWP 9 month old for $1,500.
    George—

    Send me a pm or give me a call on that WHP? Always have thought I would like to try training on of those from what I’ve seen of them—(IF I EVER WENT OVER TO THE DARK SIDE WITH ONE OF THOSE POINTY TYPE DOGS)

    And yes the high end estimates in my previous was for—Top level Retriever Field Trial prospects—with outstanding backround and potential—Prices are crazy but they have always been-
    One of the issues a poor guy like me had to face in competition at that level—

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david0311 View Post
    Joel—
    Couple questions?
    Pup
    Started dog
    Trial potential
    Hunt test potential
    Good Pedegree
    Outstanding potential -Pedegree-

    Good Pedegree—ex. Proven hunting parents -and having produced good pup ect.—$1000-1500
    Trial potential-outstanding Pedegree—won’t find anything (pup) for less than $3000 very bottom-up to 1
    $10000 or more—

    $5000 probably near average. JMO and experience

    NOTE—THIS IS ABOUT WHAT YOU WOULD EXPECT TO PAY-NOT EXACTLY WHAT JOELS QUESTION WAS-
    BUT I DID CHECK RECENTLY ON A POSSIBLE UPCOMING BREEDING AT A FIELD TRAIL AND IT WAS OVER THE TOP END—AND THEY WILL ALL BE SOLD OUT BY DEPOSITE -WHEN THE THE BREEDING IS FINALIZED

    Figured I would get this started—now i’m going to get pop darn and a drink and sit back and wait for it to hit the fan
    I've been eyeballing a litter on the ground. Randy Spanglers FC/AFC Crash and a MH bitch out of Mully (she may have an AM jam?). The problem is I'm not ready for a pup but for $1000 I might be. The reason I bring this up is really nice breeding's (probably not the next NFC) for reasonable prices exist.
    "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
    I've been eyeballing a litter on the ground. Randy Spanglers FC/AFC Crash and a MH bitch out of Mully (she may have an AM jam?). The problem is I'm not ready for a pup but for $1000 I might be. The reason I bring this up is really nice breeding's (probably not the next NFC) for reasonable prices exist.
    That would be a very good buy especially if the bitch is competitive in trial and has a strong (Pedegree)
    Good luck if you go with your instincts—because if the female starts placing or tittles before next that price will seem even better than now—

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •