Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prarie Storm

Default Prarie Storm

Does anyone really use these? I fell for the marketing a few year back and bought a box for the season. First three shots I had issues. The shells failed to eject after firing so I could not cycle to the next shot, and every shell looked like it was barely opened once it was shot. Thought this was Federals premium shell, it seems every time attempt to switch to them something goes wrong. I was shooting 2 3/4 #5 lead out of my browning a-5. Would like to give them another try just because I like that each box has proceeds going to PF. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Can't speak to Prairie Storm as I've never used them. Also, can't speak to barely open shells. BUT......assuming you're talking about a "real" A5 (& not a newer version).....are you sure the frictions rings are set right & that the magazine tube is oiled a little?
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

My group has used prairie storm for the last 3 years without any issues. I use a new a5. Very effective.

I use prairie storm in 20 & 12 and shoot #3 steel in both and have not had any issues in the last 2 years since making the switch to them.

I have used 2 3/4 20ga #5shot , it patterns plenty tight , I use it in the Mod choke of my SxS ,my go to load kent fast lead 20ga #5

Hmm must've had a bad box. Took the gun in to a gunsmith right after and was told that everything looked good. It's a real A-5 Belgium made from the 50's with a polychoke.

Not firing: firing pin issues?

Not cycling: Magazine spring, friction piece not arranged properly, action spring old.

I would take it to another gunsmith - second opinion and have him fire the gun, not just inspect.

Shell barely opened?? Can you elaborate on this?

10 of us use Prarie Storm # 5 no issues

Used them 3 years ago in Kansas. Shot extremely tight out of my gun. Group of three of us had more wounded / lost birds than usual.

I tried a box and had poor luck with it as well. I patterned the last few shells. The only pattern that opened up even a little from it was imp. cyl. It may have been good for long range. Cylinder choke got tighter in my gun.