Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choke selection

Default Choke selection

I just bought a Browning Citori 725 field 20 gauge and have never owned a o/u. Also I was curious to what kind of choke options everyone was using, and choke brands that where bringing good results.

I keep improved cylinder in the under barrel & modified in the over barrel. I use a Rizzini & the chokes that came with the gun. A bunch of other chokes came with my shotgun but I have no interest in changing them. Two modified chokes might make more sense and I’ll have to look into making that happen.

Iím thinking of right now keeping a mod. In the under and a full in the over just using the under for the first shot and over for follow up. Iíll probably just have to do some shooting and see what works for me best.

If you’re going to be hunting where the birds tend to flush farther out, that might be a good set up. Best thing is do what you said and see what works.

Not sure about the 20 ga investor DS. It the 12 gauge are more open than normal so I would highly recommend patterning them with the shells you are using. Give yourself the best chance at being successful.

You may want to try Imp Cyl for the first shot and Full for the second. If the birds are flushing close I use Skeet and Imp Cyl. Also, the safety selector on Browning Citori's tends to hang up for right handed shooters if the bottom barrel is selected first. If you push it to the right at all when you are in a hurry, it can catch in the middle and won't come off. So, I always set it up to fire the top barrel first then this is never a problem. I helped an old boy with this while hunting pheasants last year when he was having a problem with his safety hanging up on him. Going to the top barrel first solved the problem.

MG

Im a mod over improved guy myself. Do some shooting with different brands of ammo. Prairie storm shoots extremely tight out of my gun.

Improved cylinder first shot, mod second shot.

Improved on the first shot, modified on the second. If you feel the need to change up chokes you really cant't go wrong with Carlson choke tubes.

I have used skeet and skeet for years. If I need something tighter, I use skeet and modified. Most people use way too much choke.