Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How's Everyone Doing?

just got back from mott this was my 6th time at a private property had great hunting but poor killing birds down again. what I noticed is the drought is still a factor. upper plains need water bad. But had a great time watching my dogs they were great

Back from Mott a couple of days ago. Private access , but 2 days of howling winds made birds spooked!!!! Rained often so a miserable couple of days. I think birds numbers are very slightly better than last year. Not like 4 years ago when we made our first trip to this farm. Crop harvest is stalled until soils dry from rain. Would guess close to 1/2. Corn out. More than sunflower still to harvest

-3 this morning. Crop harvest has been stalled for about a week. Lots of standing crops. Habitat is the key to bird numbers recovering. Personal numbers are up a little from last years bag for huns, sharptails, and roosters. Miles walked per bird is pretty high though.

Back from the Jamestown area. Tons of ducks , we shot a five man limit and a speck on Saturday. Good hunts until it all froze up. The most snow geese I've ever seen. Hunted 8 times for pheasants and grouse. Two days were nearly impossible weather wise but still gave it a go. Moved 6 roosters on a WPA (two died). Coulda had a double on some PLOTS off the end of my dogs nose, if I could have felt my hands and remembered how to take the safety off (did get one of them). Got a single out of a group of 5 young roosters that my dogs pointed in a island of brush in the middle of a cut bean field. I missed two other roosters that I should have folded. Saw more grouse than in several years , missed a couple. Was better than last year but still WAY off from 5 - 7 years ago.

How are things going out there in ND now that we are past Thanksgiving? Are things still slow? Are the crops out now? Curious as to how people are doing.

Hunting has been fine. Very little of the sunflowers around me have been harvested.

I went back to Mott right after Thanksgiving, hunting on private lands.... we hunted hard 8 am to 4 pm , 3 days.... with good dogs... the 3 of us took 8 birds total.... about my average all year..... Most corn, and sunflowers are harvested as of then...
    Lets hope winter is easy, and spring nesting will be GREAT!

Wife and I were in the Western half of the state Nov 25th to 30th with our 6 year old drahthaar. Hunted mostly private land - birds were spotty. One property which is usually good for us, we would only kick up 1 rooster after covering most of the CRP. Cut corn adjacent, so they may have been in there, or the hail put a dent in the population. Three miles to the east on another property, we did well most days. Took a day off to visit Theodore Roosevelt park, so hunted 4 days total. Came home with 15 roosters. Saw fewer sharptails than last year, but hunted longer, thicker grass. Should have had 20 birds if I didn't have a streak of poor shots. There was zero wind most days, but the dog managed some incredible points.

We'll be back next year!
    PG