Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How's Everyone Doing?

Default How's Everyone Doing?

Hey all, just curious to find out how you all are doing so far this season? Been a week since opener and the weather has been crappy. Went out yesterday (first decent day all week), and saw a grand total of 3 birds. Two hens and one rooster that got up wild. Was hunting some of my old good spots, but nothing. Today was windy as all get out and wasn't able to make it out. Tomorrow is also supposed to be a bit breezy, will see how it pans out. I hope things turn for the better, the weather is supposed to get better this week. So far it's been a poor season, haven't shot one bird yet.

So....how about the rest of you?

Best,

Greg
    Gregory J. Westberg
    MSG, USA
    Ret

3 trips to ND for sharp tails, but pheasant opened my last day of hunting...lucked into 2 roosters out in the hills...very memorable brace of roosters, mainly the dog work. Had a total of 14 days hunting ND from fairly far East to about as far West as you can get, and a few places in between...actually, have seen a decent # of pheasants while hunting sharp tails...maybe 150 or so? mainly in a few areas. Grouse hunting was really enjoyable...love it. averaged 3 grouse/day...didn't see that many huns...only killed one, but missed several! Then there were the 2 pheasants...all in all, I love hunting the wheat country!!!!! especially hilly wheat country!!! ready to move there...

Leaving here on the 31st headed that way. Talked to a couple of friends up that way that said they have been seeing a decent number of grouse but few pheasants. Hopefully when all the beans and corn come off it will get better. Best of luck!!

Slow to say the least. Saw more roosters hunting grouse before season than after the opener. Weather has been crappy and access limiting. None of the corn and flowers has been harvested. I did have a good day Friday. Saw some sroosters fly into cover I have access to. Three points. Three shots. Three roosters. Done in 20 minutes. Don’t expect that will happen much. Went exploring after that and looking for some sharpies. Few birds of any kind seen...well lots of Sandhills. Still some snow in shady spots in far SW and lots of mud. Taking the weekend off.

I've been getting birds this season, but I've had to work for them.Lots of walking, and scouting. Birds are down, but I can still get some.Have hunted a few bm., that I saw no birds at all.

Hunted around New England and Regent the last few days with a group that has been going there for many years. Averaged a little better than a bird per hunter per day, and we only had 4 guys. We weren't on the most prime land but it usually produces limits or close to it most years. Does not appear as though there was much of a hatch in that area as the birds we got were at least half older birds and most flushes were just single birds...walk a spot, get one bird up type of thing. Probably flushed more roosters than we did hens which isn't a good sign. Did see a couple wads of birds around standing corn so there are a few around...on that note, about 5% of corn and sunflowers harvested and did not see any combines going. Talked to a couple other groups at the hotel who were doing poorly; one said he'd been coming for over 20 years and this was the slowest year he's had.

I hunted on opening weekend around the Hettinger , Bucyrus area. I have to say it was the slowest hunting in 13 years of hunting the area. We hunted three people and 2 dogs, a smaller group than usual. I really didn't think the bird numbers could get this low ,but i belive it now. I might take a few years off and see what happens. Good luck!

Just got back from 13 day hunt in mott area.Had two dogs and rotated
    Them.Found mott area not that good for plots .Regent area are better
    Seen best plots South in hettinger area.But crops still up in that area.
    Should be good on plots after crops cut.Seen more birds South in
    Hettinger area.Did pretty good when hunting by myself hit small areas.
    Did not shoot to good!!! Had a 16 guage side x side that I really like but could not get use to double triggers keep pressing first trigger for second
    Shot.All in All it was a great hunt lots of dog work .Shot some roosters
    Huns,and sharptail.Have to practice shooting that double
    One thing I noticed is when you found some birds they would not be there
    Next day so I would suggest you move around find birds then move on

Just got home after 16th annual trip to Garrison-Turtle Lake-Max area. By far the worst year ever experienced. Could not believe how few pheasants we came across. Even our best "never fail hot spots" produced slim results. Adding to the frustration was most of the ducks had moved south and the snow geese had not come down yet in big numbers. Very concerned about how long it will take for pheasant numbers to recover. Only bright spot was seeing more huns and grouse than I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by bellahunts View Post
    Just got home after 16th annual trip to Garrison-Turtle Lake-Max area. By far the worst year ever experienced. Could not believe how few pheasants we came across. Even our best "never fail hot spots" produced slim results. Adding to the frustration was most of the ducks had moved south and the snow geese had not come down yet in big numbers. Very concerned about how long it will take for pheasant numbers to recover. Only bright spot was seeing more huns and grouse than I can remember.
    without more CRP enrollment, this may be as good as it gets for quite a while.