Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best pair of boots you ever owned for hunting pheasants?

Default What is the best pair of boots you ever owned for hunting pheasants?

What is the best pair of boots for sale for pheasant hunting in South Dakota ? Lightweight and waterproof with a little insulation.

Danner Ft. Lewis. Mine are tan nubuck leather, like for desert duty, and Gortex lined. Not sure if they're made anymore other than in duty black.
    Last edited by BritChaser; 11-02-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    - From the office of Browning, Colt, Winchester & Savage
    - Kansas: Big Cock Country

In a few weeks I fly from CA to SD for a 4 day hunt. I hope that my answer to your question is my new Irish Setter Havoc's that I just bought!

I like wolverine for gortex.

Meindels 12” boot. Great support walked 12.5 miles one day and they still felt ok when I was done.

LaCrosse Burlys!... Somebody had to say it

Just weeks ago, I bought Irish Setter Elk Tracker 885's. A little too early to tell, but so far I REALLY like them. They could very well be the greatest boots ever.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    Just weeks ago, I bought Irish Setter Elk Tracker 885's. A little too early to tell, but so far I REALLY like them. They could very well be the greatest boots ever.
    I take it they are similar to mountain boots which normally have added support around the ankles? Are they stiff?

Quote Originally Posted by birdshooter View Post
    I take it they are similar to mountain boots which normally have added support around the ankles? Are they stiff?
    Here's a link. https://www.irishsetterboots.com/USD....htm#tabGroup2

I don't know about additional ankle support, but they're pretty light & and surprisingly NOT stiff!!! (at least as far as toe flexing goes) To me, they're amazingly comfortable. A little aggressive on the sole, but......no dang seams on the toe to wear out in 2 seasons!!! And beauty being in the eye of the beholder....they're kind of cool looking.

Also, the tongue opens up really far. Just undo the hooks plus 1 eyelet worth of laces & your foot practically glides in or out. They're super easy on & off. Don't even need to use the puller-onner loop on the back.
    Last edited by A5 Sweet 16; 12-21-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I have run through my share of Irish Setters, but have moved away from that brand. My current light weight pheasant and ruffed grouse boot is a Cabela's branded boot. I have worn these boots now for about 5 seasons. First pair started to leak (Gore Tex) liner in the third season and Cabelas replaced them free. They have a lifetime warranty on their own branded gear and if the boots are take care of and in reasonable shape will honor that warranty.

They might be discontinued Quite a bit of change as Bass Pro moves their own gear (example Red Head) into Cabela's.