Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the best pair of boots you ever owned for hunting pheasants?

Filson Uplander. I’m on their 15th season.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/120th...-bird-shooter/

I don't have the anniversary version but same boots. Chocolate weather tuff leather with green accents, added D rings and not the studs, and a toe cap. I have owned for about 10 years and they look almost new, except for the soles which I am going to have redone this spring.

Custom fit, the owner of the place even measured my foot in person. Every time I put them on they feel better than being barefoot. They are better waterproofed than any goertex boots I have ever owned and they have no goretex. Just proper construction to keep water out. I chose no insulation.

I have hard to fit feet, narrow heal with spurs, hammer toes, wide forefoot, and nearing 67 years of age the archs are breaking down and getting longer. I've been wearing Danner Pronghorns, both the original style and the later one with the toe cover in 12EE. Recently they have been getting short and cramping my toes. I tried on a pair of Danner Sharptails in 13D and gosh they felt good. The moccasin toe gave more room than the same size Pronghorns. Ended up getting them and wearing them around the house and yard for a few weeks before pheasant season. Hunted a day and a half with my feet doing great, wish the rest of my body did as well. Even though I work out sometimes 5 days a week with an emphasis on aerobics, some of that CRP about whipped my butt.
    They showed a little wear on the toe from the 10 mile of heavy cover the first day and more the 2nd, so I just applied KG Bootguard. Hope it works as advertised, I really like these boots.
    Last edited by ole_270; 11-20-2019 at 10:19 PM.

I like danner pronghorn insulated, danner sharptail non insulated. Good boots that are some what reasonably priced.

I love my old browning kangaroo leather upland boots. Gosh-not sure how old they are...been wanting to try orvis's "new version" of the old browning kangaroo leather upland boots-has anyone tried these?

I have no experience on the prairie but my favorite upland boot for the hills and mountains of Pennsylvania is the Schnee Beartooth mid-height. They are more expensive than I would prefer but they are light, durable and supportive. I think they are American made too (not sure though).
    Last edited by Donohued; 11-26-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by One shot 2018 View Post
    What is the best pair of boots for sale for pheasant hunting in South Dakota ? Lightweight and waterproof with a little insulation.
    Wolverine Antelope .Great boots, and not real spendy.

Need a score board here! Seems like a lot of well liked boots out there. I had a pair of Danner Pronghorns that I wore for about 10 years,. I painted rubber "tool dip" on the toes so the leather wouldn't wear through the toes. Several years back the wife gave me a new set for Christmas, this verison have capped toe and heel, I thought that would make them last almost forever. I gradually began to wear them, last year I wore them almost every time out and every time this year so far. The biggest problem is the heel supports are broken-up already with the equilvelent of 2 good seasons on them. I see they are redesigned this year, but not sure I want to try them again. If I can get though this season, I will have some time to research them more. Maybe see some feedback on the newly designed Pronghorn.

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    Just weeks ago, I bought Irish Setter Elk Tracker 885's. A little too early to tell, but so far I REALLY like them. They could very well be the greatest boots ever.
    Iím about to buy a pair of these do they run true to size or do I need to order a 1/2 size larger or wider

Thanks

When all is said and done, even out here in western ND I hunt roosters in Muck Boots more than all of my other hunting/hiking/upland boots combined. I don't know if I would classify them as the best, but they are a pretty darned good average.

When I know for 100% certainty I'm not going to be crossing a shallow river, creek, or mucking through cattail gungaree halfway to my knees, my go-to upland/hunting boots are Irish Setter Vaprtreks. Vaprtreks are the best boots I've found for all around hunting in western ND. They are super light weight, have a soft but aggressive sole which are great for walking CRP for pheasants, miles of prairie for goats, or climbing even the toughest rocky, cactus filled Badlands buttes & draws to glass for mule deer, and are about as waterproof as lace up boots can be. I found they ran small, I normally wear 10.5 D but had to go 11 D...
    Last edited by Labs; 12-06-2019 at 05:58 AM.