Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Citori Feather Q

Zeb brings up a great point about patterning. Each barrel/choke/load combination patterns differently; even from one gun to the next of the same make/model. Pattern your gear. I don't need 3" shells for pheasants either, or even a 12 gauge for that matter. But I don't make my living on 45-yard straight-aways. I guess if WhoaBoy can only get loooong, straight-away shots (& can recover the birds), I totally see why he'd want 3" shells. A jump of 150 or 200 fps at the muzzle does NOT give a lead #5 significantly more penetrating energy at 45 yards. Going a size or 2 bigger DOES (even if muzzle velocity decreases a little). The obvious way to offset the larger shot size is to increase the payload via 3" shells. 3/8 oz (or so) is significant. As long as he can keep his pattern together & put enough shot in the kill zone (which is easier if the load isn't screaming fast), I think the approach is totally valid & probably even a good idea in his case. At least until he figures out how to get better shots.
    "Deader is better."

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    A jump of 150 or 200 fps at the muzzle does NOT give a lead #5 significantly more penetrating energy at 45 yards.
    And this is because the faster something starts out the faster it slows down due to air resistance. A 200 fps advantage at the muzzle is reduced significantly at 45 yards. You may have lost 80% of your speed advantage at 45 yards. Better to go to larger shot size pushing a moderate speed for long shots.

IMO If 35 yards will be your closest shot #4 lead will be your best bet. If you can find #4 in a load size of 1-3/8 or 1-1/2 oz in a 2-3/4" shell that would be ideal. Unfortunately, unless you center your shot and not just fringe hit the bird, it likely won't make much difference what you use. Those are risky shots at that distance as the birds vitals are not exposed.
    Last edited by birdshooter; 10-12-2018 at 04:35 PM.