Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today's Opener

Default Today's Opener

Hi all, well today's pheasant opener was the worst I've seen in years (at least for my son and I)! We had a mix of rain and snow these last 3 days that has made most of the roads a quagmire of mud and slop. We weren't able to get to most of our spots due to the terrible road conditions. Even the main unpaved roads were hard to get around on. The places we were able to get to didn't pan out at all. We saw a total of ZERO birds.

We're supposed to get more rain/snow for the next 4 days or so. It will be a mess if we do. Guess we'l just have to wait for it to dry out so we can get to our old haunts. Hope we'll get some then.

I'm sure others did much better than us and hope they will chime in on how they did.

Till later!

Greg
    Gregory J. Westberg
    MSG, USA
    Ret

Greg - sorry to hear the opener was a bust. Hunting in the mud and attempting to motor around isn't fun!

A friend of mine is headquartered in Dickinson - not sure where he was hunting, haven't heard from him as yet. What general area were you hunting?

Thanks

Thanks for the kind thought. We hunted around where we live, 14 miles south of Mandan.

Best,

Greg
    Gregory J. Westberg
    MSG, USA
    Ret

Thanks for message. I'll report when I hear from my buddy, who's probably mired in mud!

Greg, the roads do suck but if there is a positive, should be a lot of birds that survive the initial onslaught, we saw poor numbers to start and other places had good chick production. Once they clip the corn we should be ok. Good to shoot some roosters again. Saw two rigs ditch shooting birds at my aunts which is clearly posted. I wish some one would explain the rule differences between North and South Dakota to these Wisconsin guys.��

Those roads up there get like axle grease when they are muddy!! Hopefully dries up before we get there on 11/1. Talked to a friend in Stutsman county this week. He said that the bean harvest had just started good and that this snow would delay them another wee-10 days. He hasn't seen many birds around , I'm not going with too high of hopes.

Slow go yesterday for sure. Roads are a mess. Saw few birds.

Quote Originally Posted by PTM View Post
    Greg, the roads do suck but if there is a positive, should be a lot of birds that survive the initial onslaught, we saw poor numbers to start and other places had good chick production. Once they clip the corn we should be ok. Good to shoot some roosters again. Saw two rigs ditch shooting birds at my aunts which is clearly posted. I wish some one would explain the rule differences between North and South Dakota to these Wisconsin guys.��
    PTM can u give us non res the short version on ditches and section lines ? Thanks in advance

Just talked to bunch of friends, locals, that live in the state. They said it was worst they have seen in years. Bunch of 8 or 9 zero birds. Not what I was hoping for :-(.....But long ways to go yet hope for better wx. Harvest hardly started yet. Better conditions I hope. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    Just talked to bunch of friends, locals, that live in the state. They said it was worst they have seen in years. Bunch of 8 or 9 zero birds. Not what I was hoping for :-(.....But long ways to go yet hope for better wx. Harvest hardly started yet. Better conditions I hope. :-)
    the habitat in ND is almost gone. the only reason there are a few birds left in SD is because of the pay-to-hunt-ops and their CRP.
    they(SD)stand to lose 330,000 acres of current CRP ground over the next 2 years as well......pay-to-hunt pen raised birds is slowly taking over. CREP was initiated to offset that deficit, but it will never come close......farm bill not allowing for enough re enrollment.......sucks.