Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The opener

It was the weirdest opener I have seen that I can remember. The birds were grouped up and spooky. Even the young birds were hard to get close to. Saw a good number of birds and had several 4-15 bird flushes. Many hens and groups of roosters. We did get some shooting and good dog work as the birds that did hold, held extremely tight. IDK I have never seen the birds so bunched up and wild this early. Very puzzling and more than a little frustrating at times. Still a lot of crops standing and the birds took off for there.

We hunted west of Corydon. Was somewhat disappointed with the amount of phez and quail we saw, but with the 70 deg weather yesterday and the gusty winds today, Iím not complaining. We are planning to make another trip after shotgun season. Hopefully itís a little cooler.

Anyone else have trouble with the wind yesterday (Sunday) as far as dogs being able to locate birds? We had more trouble with dogs finding knocked down birds yesterday than any other day by far.

Went out Sat/Sun.....Saturday there was 7 of us and we managed 15 and lost 3, weather was crazy having that heavy fog in the morning, almost couldn't find the spot couldn't see more than 50yds in front of the truck on the drive down. Sunday a buddy and I went out and had our limit in exactly 1hr on a nice piece of public we had hunted last year and did ok on. Saw a lot of birds on Saturday and saw a bunch on Sunday and with good shooting we made quick work of our 6 yesterday.

We saw a lot of birds on Saturday but the fog made it kind of miserable. It was hard to see and the grass was wet which made the clothing and boots wet and cold. Once the sun burned the fog off it turned out to be kind of nice and we were able to shoot some birds. The birds we shot sat pretty tight. There is still a lot of corn in the fields and I know that it will get much better when it comes out. Sunday was so windy and warm. We didn't see many birds but the ones we saw we shot and were able to find. Pretty good opening weekend over all but I am looking forward to the rest of the corn coming out.
    NC IA Tail Chaser