Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The opener

Default The opener

Itís just around the corner. Whatís everyoneís prediction for the birds this year? Up, down or about the same as last year?

Some places will be up , some will be down and some will be the same, I predict

Road side reports says my normal area will be up compared to the previous year. I feel if the weather stays cold opening weekend will seem better because the birds will be grouped together and not be such track stars. Also with the amount of rains in my area it will be easier on the dogs to track the birds.

Its almost that time of year again.....

My area of NW Iowa probably will be down, haven’t seen much. We had some cold wet weather around early hatch time.

How is the public land along the river doing in central Iowa ?

I had a report of it being under water last week, trying to plan my trip .....

I took a drive and a few walks over the last few days specifically looking for birds, checking out hunting spots, etc all in central and south central Iowa (Polk, Warren, Lucas, Clarke, Decatur) and was very pleasantly surprised at what I saw. Good luck this weekend ladies and gents. I will be laying low opening weekend and letting the once a year crews have their fun. After that, I intend to hunt more this year than I have in years past. Hopefully I'll have a few good stories and pics to post along the way. Look forward to a more active board as season gets under way.

Headed up to the farm in NE Iowa (Butler County). Family says bird numbers are awesome. Iíll try to report back later. Good luck and be safe everyone!!!

Good luck everyone !

I am heading out your way Sunday, 11/4 for the week (staying/hunting Iowa county)

The opener was a bust for us yesterday 0 shots fired and very few seen. We hunted in Woodbury County.

Saw LOTS of birds yesterday. 15+

It was hard to get close to them because they were going into the standing corn. Combines rolling everywhere. Managed to put one young bird in the bag.