Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you have just one?

Default Would you have just one?

Does anyone use just one shotgun? My dad and grandpa did, so did my father-in-law. I can't seem to get to just one of any style or gauge, much less one for all purposes.

I have way to many shotguns but for the last 3 years I have done 90 percent of my hunting with a s SxS 20 ga 3 in chamber double triggers . Pheasant , quail doves , ducks , geese and Prairie chickens ,

I’m really thinking about downsizing. I shoot one, maybe two and the rest just gather dust.

During a summer of shooting trap I will use a half dozen guns.

Hunting, maybe three others.

I just use one. Model 12 Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericb View Post
    Does anyone use just one shotgun? My dad and grandpa did, so did my father-in-law. I can't seem to get to just one of any style or gauge, much less one for all purposes.
    In those days that was quite common. Back then there weren't nearly as many choices. Now-a-days you have a multitude of shotguns made for all kinds of specific purposes, the list is endless. For instance, you have all the clay target sports with models for each discipline. You have light weight models for upland game, longer barreled heavier models for waterfowl and all flavors of camo. Fact is we have so many more choices and models to fine tune each gun to it's specific purpose and possibly more disposable income to buy them than our fathers and grandfathers did??

I don't think there really is a one gun, all purpose shotgun. Oh sure you could use one gun for everything, but likely it wouldn't be ideal for everything.

It's like anything else, the more choices we have the more we tend to accumulate.
    Last edited by birdshooter; 09-29-2018 at 11:13 PM.

I use more than one and it is as much a hobby thing as it is practical.
    I’m near 63 years now. When a young man, I used a Mossberg for near. Everything. It had two barrels.
    My Gramps used a Model 37 Featherlight for many different prey...flying, running and large.
    Folks back in the day learned by necessity to be frugal. Game for the pot as well as loved time afield.
    Funny...but I have been thinking about this sort of thing lately.

I only use one (Franchi Instinct L 20 ga) mainly because I only own two and the other one (J.C. Higgins 20 in 12 ga.) goes unused because it's a fixed full choke so it makes it tough to choose to upland hunt with.

LOL...absolutely NOT! I'm a sucker for a nice 20ga O/U and have several. Use them on different days for different reasons that I really can't explain.
    JMc
    Fritch, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Ericb View Post
    Does anyone use just one shotgun?
    Essentially.....kind of yes & no. For doves, I'll shoot my Beretta 303 Sporting 20. For waterfowl, my Montefeltro. For clays, my Red Label (English stock & 26" bbls - not your usual clays gun). But the vast majority of my shooting is pheasant hunting, for which I use my Sweet 16 99% of the time (with an occasional appearance by my 16 ga. Model 12). Others in the safe haven't been shot in years & years.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster