Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: opening weekend

If you have a piece of public land that is 130 acres, or whatever size, it's really not easy to know if you should hunt or not if someone else has gotten their spot to hunt. What's the minimal distance from them, where are they going, compared to where your going? It's why I don't really like to hunt public land because you do run into these situations. I will be going opening weekend in MN also. But, it's tough........ I definitely try to respect others out there.

Well just two weeks out and I just lost my opening weekend trip. My hunting partner's company is slow (as usual) and he couldn't afford to pass on a project they offered him to oversee. I'm very disappointed!! Ever happened to any of you? Your past misery might make me feel better. Kidding of course. Sorta,

My company tried to send me to Germany for a week. First option was this coming weekend (opener), 2nd option was deer opener. I dont hunt birds on deer opener (dont want some jerk trying to shoot my brown dog) so i picked that week to head over seas.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrdoglvr View Post
    Well just two weeks out and I just lost my opening weekend trip. My hunting partner's company is slow (as usual) and he couldn't afford to pass on a project they offered him to oversee. I'm very disappointed!! Ever happened to any of you? Your past misery might make me feel better. Kidding of course. Sorta,
    happened to me last year, no one could commit, so me and my pup went solo; i actually dont mind hunting solo, i find it alot easier to hunt and to be more successful. now if your buddy is the one with the dog, then that sucks...

My connects in SW MN informed me they haven't even started corn yet with it being so wet. Also told me lots of grassland CRP flooded. Thought someone on here mentioned corn being way ahead??? Not sure if that's the case...for SW MN at least.

Quote Originally Posted by TBIRD19 View Post
    My connects in SW MN informed me they haven't even started corn yet with it being so wet. Also told me lots of grassland CRP flooded. Thought someone on here mentioned corn being way ahead??? Not sure if that's the case...for SW MN at least.
    west central MN is on its way I've been told from a friend in Cyrus; but SW has been getting hammered with precip it sounds like; last year i beleive most was still up past deer opener?

who is pumped to go?! cant wait, just cant wait for this rain to stop as well

I am pumped to go out however I might skip out this weekend. I think once the sun shines tomorrow people are going to get excited and the crowds will be huge this weekend. Crops are still in anyways, I think the best hunting is going to be November. plus my local haunt has been giving up walleyes like crazy lately

thats the problem with this time of year, too many things going on, fall fishing, bowhunting, birds, and of course WORK

Goodluck to all you guys going out, would love to hear your reports on the weekend especially throughout different regions. Not traveling to my normal areas this weekend, instead going just outside the metro saturday morning to see if we can bump into one or two uneducated birds. Mainly to get the dog out, and some regions of the state are dealing with flooding right now, so waiting on that to settle.