Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upland bird forecast

The farmer where we are hunting said the pig weed has become resistant to almost everything they throw at it. Said it took about 20 years (his observation) for it to become Roundup resistant. Keep it up and many if not most weeds will eventually be resistant to herbicides.
    Last edited by akp; 09-20-2018 at 09:48 AM.

I've had farmers say the same thing in the last few years. After he said it, I've noticed more and more pig weed poking up above the beans and milo as I drive around.

Quote Originally Posted by akp View Post
    The farmer where we are hunting said the pig weed has become resistant to almost everything they throw at it. Said it took about 20 years (his observation) for it to become Roundup resistant. Keep it up and many if not most weeds will eventually be resistant to herbicides.
    the sad thing is the chemical companies will just make new herbicides more toxic to control the weeds.......insects too, they morph and become resistant to insecticides as well, new formulas needed for control.

we have come full circle in our pursuit of yields beyond reasonable goals........there will eventually be a price to pay for sure.

2nd in rooster harvest and 1st in quail harvest last year and they are predicting a little down. I'll take that! It wasn't that long a go I had a no quail on the rise rule in effect.

[QUOTE=hunter94;244708]
    Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    Not anywhere close to where we were from 2004-2010. More hail than normal in May and June. With all the rain, I saw farmers spray the cut wheat fields and milo stubble like never before. Won't be much growth in the wheat stubble. Some of those fields got sprayed 2 or 3 times.[/QUOT

maybe some good news.......my farmer friend says his milo is weed choked, even though he sprayed it........his neighbors are having the same problem......says many are talking about going back to tilling, the way it used to be...ever since no till the birds have declined.....tilling seems a more natural process that keeps chemicals out of the field.

he did say the heavy rains he got in May/June really knocked the broods way down....knowing where the rains were heavy would be helpful.....if you scout or pull up to your hunting spots and there are signs of heavy erosion, washouts or new culverts/road work you can bet a lot of birds got washed out in that area.

I don't agree at all since notill the birds have declined. The milo stubble being left all winter, and the wheat stubble not being worked, even if there are no weeds is way better than worked bare ground. If the field is worked there is no where in the field for the birds like there is with stubble. I shoot lots of birds in wheat stubble that milo will be notilled in. If they weren't going to notill it would be worked dirt, no cover for anything.

Don't know why you are replying to me, I never said anything about no till farming. But I do agree with your post.
    Last edited by westksbowhunter; 09-23-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Thats not the quote I though I hit reply with quote on, it was the guy who said notill hurts the birds. I was on my phone dumping a corn truck, I am not sure what happened.

I think the No Rain farming method has hurt the birds more than anything. Still love hunting there!!

I agree with esetter
    on the No Rain farming

They finally put up the actual brood survey report. Not sure how to square the forecast with the scientific data. I suppose there are two possible choices: marketing and "it may be down, but it's still pretty good".

https://ksoutdoors.com/Services/Research-Publications