Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Public Land Hunts

Default Public Land Hunts

Greetings all. Newbie to this forum.
    My brother and I are going to a weekend cast and blast event at Leech Lake in mid October. We are traveling from central Indiana, and are looking for public land recommendations for pheasant hunting. Would like to hunt on a Monday, allowing us to travel home on Tuesday.
    We have 1 dog, a seasoned griff, and are not afraid to do some walking. I have looked at the Spring Valley area, as it looks to be near our route home. Is anyone familiar with public land in this area? Places we should avoid?
    I read that SW Minnesota is the place to be for pheasant, but not feasible for our travels. Want to hunt MN since we wil already have a license. Donít really want to buy another out of state tag for Iowa, or hunt another preserve. Really want to give public land a go.
    Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

You're going to be quite a ways away from good pheasant habitat. BUT you'll be smack in some great grouse habitat. I'd forget about phez and walk for grouse. It's really not going to be worth your time on the north/east half of the state.

Mid Oct is when grousing gets good. Cool temps, leaves fallen...tough to beat.

I agree with the above. the north side of Leech is full of grouse opportunity, and not far from your base.

If you must hunt pheasants, you will have to drive about 1.5 hour min to get to the northern part of the range.

I would say forget about pheasants in that area, you're better off just throwing a ball to get the dog some exercise than attempting to walk for pheasants anywhere. Not much, if any, public land in that area, as you're almost on the polar opposite part of the state where somewhat decent pheasant populations are. As the other guys said, grouse is really your only option in that area without a fair amount of driving further south.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster guy View Post
    I would say forget about pheasants in that area, you're better off just throwing a ball to get the dog some exercise than attempting to walk for pheasants anywhere. Not much, if any, public land in that area, as you're almost on the polar opposite part of the state where somewhat decent pheasant populations are. As the other guys said, grouse is really your only option in that area without a fair amount of driving further south.
    You make this sound like a bad thing.
    ;-)

hey IN, if you're stuck on pheasants, if you pull in the MN recreation compass, you can see what types of WMA's and WPA's are around, there are some pockets of birds around there, I would focus more SW of valley.
    But you'll definitely be in great grouse territory, could mix it in with your walleye fishing throughout your whole trip

Loren1 .jpg They are out there.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

285C3746-C45F-4B2B-9FD2-1014A88862F2.jpeg

Agree with FCSspringer. MN public land rooster on a beautiful Friday afternoon.

Bear.JPG

They are out there. I got my first ever 3 bird Minnesota limit this past Saturday morning. Flushed another 2 more that would have been easy shots after I got my 3 on the walk back to the truck too. I spent a lot of time busting my butt in thick cattails and never saw a Rooster or Hen in them. Got all the birds while walking shorter cover to get to the next cattail spots.

Nice job guys. I was successfully unsuccessful ?? this past weekend. I went out for an all day hunt in the beautiful weather that was handed to us, and decided to drive a few hours to make it worth it. Well, if it wasn't for some bad luck, I would have been limited and driving home after 45 minutes. But that is definitely ok, because on the second piece of public land, I had my first 50+ bird flush - 99% hens, but damn, how exciting. A great hunt, even if I shot like dump. Really fun to go hunting in Minnesota and move around 75 birds.