Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 16 gauge; It really is a illness

I always thought the best gun/gauge is the one I have in my hands and I am out hunting with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kuk kuk View Post
    I always thought the best gun/gauge is the one I have in my hands and I am out hunting with it.
    That's more of a "It'll have to do" thing. And if it's something other than a 16 gauge, it may work fine. But to truly have the best, you'd have a 16 gauge. And a springer.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I guess Iíve settled for less than the best for a long time. (12ga and no dog.)

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    That's more of a "It'll have to do" thing. And if it's something other than a 16 gauge, it may work fine. But to truly have the best, you'd have a 16 gauge. And a springer.
    For me it's a 16 and a Brittany! Oh, and just a warning to all you non-16 ga. folks. Once you go 16, you will never go back!
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

The power of purple.

Yes I shoot a 16 gauge Model 12 Winchester. I have a couple 12 gauges and a 20 that I use as loners but I use a 16.

I figured I'd get another Golden Retriever at some point, and I'll definitely use the 16, although not all the time. I used to hunt with a Savage 726 auto loader, a Browning licensed copy of the Auto-5. It was my first 16ga and it helped me kill a lot of roosters but I never cared for all the clanking after every shot. I sold that to buy a deer rifle when I moved to Nebraska. Now I'm looking forward to using purple shells again. No Poly choke this time though.

I just bought a Sweet Sixteen with a poly choke. Not my preference but price was right. Its just a sign of the times. They were quite popular on the old guns. They are quite functional, I hear. Though pretty, they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by jalinkly View Post
    I just bought a Sweet Sixteen with a poly choke. Not my preference but price was right. Its just a sign of the times. They were quite popular on the old guns. They are quite functional, I hear. Though pretty, they are not.
    I don't have a problem with them. I have my dad's Polychoked 12ga Ithaca. I never saw him miss a bird using that thing, pheasant, duck or goose. I think they're kind of nice looking in a way. I also have a Sears model 20 that has an adjustable choke. That gun has a vent rib so the choke doesn't stand out as much.
    I kind of wonder if the choke sitting out there helps with aiming. Not that you aim with a shotgun but it'd be easier to have the barrel in your peripheral vision when you pull up on a bird.

I wish I had a better pic of my new SXS. 100 years old next year. 5# 15 oz. Hoping a dumb rooster waits for me to catch up in November..

qnNbEyV.jpg