Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grouse/Hun Opener

Default Grouse/Hun Opener

Hey all, well today was the opening day of our Sharptail/Hun hunting season.* It can be summed up in two words...........IT SUCKED..........But I can't understand why....*no cover due to haying (thanks last years drought),* high winds (25-30+ mph), dry,**dusty conditions and hot (80 degrees).* Perfect upland conditions for both hunter and dog!

All that aside, we did see birds, but they were spooky as all get out.* Not able to even take a shot. The rancher where we hunt did say he's seen more grouse this year than last, so there is hope.* Once that damn wind goes down.* They did hay quite a bit of prairie and that doesn't help, but there is cover, just not as much.

Another downer is, we saw zero pheasants and the rancher hasn't seen many this year either.* Guess time will tell on this front.

Anyway, going to try about the house tomorrow, winds are supposed to be normal, that will help.* Will report back then.

Best,

Greg
    Gregory J. Westberg
    MSG, USA
    Ret

That sounds like the twin to our day.

Quote Originally Posted by Altillathedak View Post
    That sounds like the twin to our day.
    this pheasant recovery cycle is going to be slow......losing grass is going to be an on going problem.

Agreed. Numbers are controlled by habitat.

Although the predictions are not good I am fairly optimistic that this year will be better than the last. Iíve seen numerous broods where as last yeatr I saw none. They have cover, bugs, and water. We will never see the numbers rise significantly if we donít have CRP or something similar.

hunted MT from 9/5-9/7, and ND from 9/8-9/11; the latter was pretty good, the former was a bit tough. I shot 25 between the two, had a ball...my favorite hunt of the year, quite frankly. May be back to ND about a week from now, different area, hope there are some birds....grilled the birds up most days after marinating in italian dressing...MMMM!!!! My uggie 28 gauge with #8's did real well...

What did you shoot? Mostly sharpies? I love them , lots of people say they aren't worth eating. I make a mixture of coke and italian dressing. Its my go to for any dark wild meat.

yup, sharpies...we marinate them in italian...grill them rare or med rare...amazing! especially early season...young birds!!!

Reminder that party hunting upland birds is illegal in ND. Party hunting in MT is illegal for most game ... not sure about upland birds.

Landowner of our best spot enjoys a few birds each year...we make that happen...when the dust settled, it was what it was, I guess...must have shot an extra bird along the way, I guess, but my math could be wrong...hard to keep track after a week...always enjoy making sure a landowner gets birds from his/her own property...never had more than 3 in my vest or vehicle, I know that...good to have the reminder, thanks...I do recall asking my hunting buddy about whether you can party hunt for ducks and geese in ND, and he said No, laughing, as that would be hard to enforce, and also, to be compliant with. An interesting thread would be whether or not one could be technically illegal in some respect, but still be ethical...and also, could one be legal, but unethical in some respect. I like to reward landowners with game from their own land that they maintain for wildlife...if I technically shot an extra bird over the course of my trip--or two--but was never in possession of more than my limit, I guess I broke the law, and would have to answer to the law if I was caught. Not saying that that happened, but if I shot 25, not 24, I guess it may have. And it probably could be attributed to party hunting, I usually pay attention to my buddy's shooting to gauge what he may be carrying. Bouncing between states that treat certain laws and regs differently does get challenging for some of us that don't read the fine print as closely as we should...I guess I know what I feel is wrong, and also, what I feel is right, but I should take the bifocals out and read the fine print of each state's regs, and then formulate my plan from there. Back out to ND Friday...weather looks darn good for us walkers!!!! 2 legged and 4 legged....
    Last edited by benelli-banger; 09-19-2018 at 05:28 PM.