Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dove locations

Default Dove locations

Long time all! Itís been a crazy busy off season. These fires are no help with my work life. So, my new hunter is my 11yo daughter and Iím gonna start the season with Dove. Weíve been at the range shooting clays. I put in for a ton of hunts and didnít get any. So now Iím looking into backups. I can hunt local at one of the wildlife areas but I finally have some time off to go somewhere. Anyone have any recommendations from them Central Valley all the way to Sacramento Valley. We will likely camp in the truck or a room. If any of you have some thoughts let me know. Itís going to be some great bonding father daughter time!!

Up until the recent cool down period I've never seen so many doves in the Lincoln to Marysville area. Maybe the fires and smoke shoved them south. The cool temps may have moved them out however. Lots of Eurasian Collared doves which don't count toward your dove limit and has no closed season. Learn to recognize them and you end up with bonus birds.
    Remember, steel only on any state wildlife areas even for doves. Next year's season it's statewide everywhere.

Sounds good. I think we are going a little way north. Around the red bluff area. Thank you sir!

Well here's a single data point. Today I had to drive to Lincoln for a Dr.s appt. I didn't see a single dove along the road where a couple weeks ago I saw bunch after bunch. I live in Auburn and the doves were around here up until the recent cooling off. I saw one today. Like I say not much information and only a single data point.
    Check the smoke maps as it could be bad around Red Bluff and that might even affect whether the doves leave or stay. Traditionally, when it gets cool the doves move south or up into the first foothills where it's usually a little warmer. That's conventional wisdom.

One more piece of information. A friend had reason to go look at his dove spots Sunday. He hunts in the North Sutter Buttes just south of Gray Lodge. Almond orchard and pasture that usually has doves even when Gray Lodge doesn't. He also helps a wild rice farmer friend with his bird depredation shooting in the Nicolaus area. Both places had lots of birds up until the cool down. They were gone from both areas Sunday and talking to the property owners they left with the cool down.
    Traditionally, when it gets like this the Sac River can be one of the last spots to have doves. It's almost all boat access to the wildlife /hunting areas and the river can be very crowded.

Well thank you! Thatís some valuable information. I looked at the smoke maps and itís bad everywhere. The bummer was I couldnít go scout because Iíve been slammed with work and the fires. Then my wife dragged me to Tahoe this last weekend and so Iíve had to almost throw a dart at a map. I guess Iíll look for a plan B south of the Bay Area. I wanted to stay away from the refugeís because, well itís a refuge! And itís too early in the year to start flashlight wars. I rented a camp site in Red Bluff. Hopefully I can get out of it. Itís hard to keep these kids excited about hunting, so Iím doing my best to give her good opportunities so she carries on the tradition!

Remember, I only gave 2 data points and I'm sure there will be doves shot at certain locations. If you were thinking of the Tehama Wildlife Area, that might be a possibility. It's amazingly rugged, beautiful and the only place I know of where you can cross a good sized stream on an actual engineered and constructed ford. If you've never been there it will takes several trips to see and learn it all. On the back road into it I found the only guzzler I've heard of in the Sacramento Valley foothills. That will tell you how dry the place is. If that's where you go read the book about Ishi. He was the last Native American living in the wild in Calif. Sad story too often repeated. There's a Wilderness Area named for him between Red Bluff and Chico that you can drive through and along.
    Good luck.

So I ended up sticking to my original plans. I got a single dove and my daughter got none. We only saw about 7. There was some sporadic shooting going on around us but nothing crazy. This evening at the camp site about 200+ showed up. I couldn’t have been that lucky and have them at my hunting spot, but they knew where to find me and laugh! At least I was able to show my daughter what a flight of doves should look like! Thinking of switching things up tomorrow. We shall see.

We had World War II at our spot, LOL. We could hit the doves with a stick. I need to get my lazy behind moving this winter. I am going to plant Safflower in my pasture next month. Hopefully the mourning doves come out of the almonds. We get to many Euros which we don't want

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanCA View Post
    We get to many Euros which we don't want
    You can fix that problem since there's no closed season and an unlimited bag limit. They do seem to be a smart bird however that doesn't take much shooting before it leaves the area. There are a ton of them at a NoCal wildlife area that stay next to the check station and then take off and fly down the closed zone boundary near the building and then leave through the only route that takes them over safe ground.
    A little bigger than a Morning Dove but they BBQ just as nicely and make great Dove fajitas.