Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Montana 2018!!

Well, I'll type it out some time.its been in our family for a long time.I prefer pheasant, over sharptail, and the eastern sharptails are better eating than the central my. Birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    its been in our family for a long time.
    Nothing beats tastes from your childhood and especially old family recipes.

Yeah, my dad was an avid bird Hunter when I was growing up, and he liked to cook.I have fond memories of all our dogs, my dad always had field springers, and later, golden retrievers.Most of his dogs did not retrieve, lol, but they did flush birds.My dad developed a knack for cooking birdsby the early 70's.

Stopped in Northern Utah to pick up the rest of our Hunting Party. Moving through Idaho and itís clear and cold! Weather outlook looks to be in the low-mid 60ís if you can believe it.

You should be sweating by Wed.

Quote Originally Posted by calamari View Post
    You should be sweating by Wed.
    It’s warm for sure. 6 miles yesterday, and 5 so far today. Human miles, so I know the dogs have put a lot on. We’ve seen one covey of sharptails. We’ve hunted CRP, WMA, and a ranch that the state took over. Nothing else. I’m wondering if that cold spell last week had any effect on the birds. Oh well, at least we are trying!

E94F5026-205E-49B5-A973-ECF163870943.jpeg

Are you guys in eastern mt.?

Are you guys in eastern mt.?
    No, we went northwestern. Now we cruised down outside of Helena for our last hunt day tomorrow on some local advice. We should have bit the bullet and went eastern. But I’m not gonna second guess things now! I’m having a great time. Beautiful country, extremely nice helpful people. It’s great.
    Last edited by Beniciahd; 10-19-2018 at 12:13 AM.

That's wonderful. This is sort of a down year for mt.But it's still good.Try between Lewistown, and Roy, Mt.

That's wonderful. This is sort of a down year for mt.But it's still good.Try between Lewistown, and Roy, Mt.
    There's not much public access in that Lewistown-Roy section but there are birds there on private stuff. You can try knocking on doors but look at the conditions on the BMAs west of Lewistown and you'll see, for Montana, it's not unwashed hunter friendly country.

Beni, does your local advice involve Canyon Ferry Res.? If so, I'd go drink in a bar. The BMAs there are really snow dependent big game stuff and it's mostly pivot sprinkler fields. Helena is a college town so any hunting near there is hunted by college student hunters.
    Last edited by calamari; 10-19-2018 at 08:16 AM.