Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No hunting for one year?

Quote Originally Posted by 2setters View Post
    What would be a fair price to offer to pay for one or two hunters with dogs. Have never paid to hunt before. Thanks
    Early in the season on good private land would be $150 to $200 a day. Mid season will be a little less and late season it is open to negotiation.

our group has been offering a steak dinner vs outright payment for years...be surprised at how many folks appreciate that and take us up on it. We do go later season which probably has something to do with it. You get to know them, they get to know you, and it really helps build a relationship that's extended well past hunting rights in some cases. Then we'll all chip in and drop a box in the mail once with something unique (if they farm with CASE equipment we might ship a CASE IH hoodie or something similar) as a thank you. Does take a bit more effort / time but it's worked for us.
    Browning Citori 725 + Brittany Spaniel = FLYING & DYING

Quote Originally Posted by benelli-banger View Post
    do anything that encourages landowners to keep, or create, habitat...go to a pay to hunt operation even a day or two on an otherwise public land-only hunt...and I'm not talking about a highfalutin preserve...find a landowner to takes a liking to wildlife and let him know you appreciate what he has done...tell him if you could hunt his ground for a day you'd like to make a contribution towards his real estate taxes or his habitat, which you understand takes $ out of his pocket by not being able to farm it...do this after Thanksgiving, by then the firearms deer season is over and relatives have gone home...you may make a friend...if he turns you down, still thank him for the habitat he has created and maintained...it is important regardless.
    Yep I like this idea! I also like to send a little package at Christmas. Something the UPS man delivers that says thanks for the opportunity and shows you think about them other than only in the fall when you want something from them. It goes miles towards getting access in the future plus I meet some really neat people that become my friends.

Folks have hunted our farm for over 40 years, deer, pheasants and waterfowl of all kinds. Only thing I’ve ever been offered was some dead birds.

Why do I think they did that so they could go hunt some more ?

You folks must be the exceptional.

We too have started to find that offering things is better than cash... We now return to the same 3-4 spots each year. But one guy in our group raises lamb, so one farmer gets a lamb. Another gets some moonshine and a gift card to local restaurant. Another has a wife with a small country store, so we make sure to buy a lot of their homemade items that turn into Christmas gifts for our family members. Other small chores like checking their cattle gates, making sure water isn't frozen, giving an extra hand here or there, seems to always help a ways.

Good post, thanks

I always leave a 6 pack of pbr, on the good places.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    I always leave a 6 pack of pbr, on the good places.
    PBR ? What do you leave on the not so good places ?

A lump of coal.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarmer View Post
    PBR ? What do you leave on the not so good places ?
    Carling Black Label? lol