Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SD crop report 7/22

Quote Originally Posted by sdviking View Post
    A little over three inches of rain has fallen in NE South Dakota over the past 4 days. Sunny weekend forecast then chance of rain early next week. Harvest has stopped for a little while. The good news is that the grass has greened up nicely and the sloughs are a little wet. SDViking
    Week Ending 9/22/18

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 7 percent very poor, 11 poor, 19 fair, 42 good, and 21 excellent. Corn mature was 67 percent, well ahead of 29 last year and 43 for the five-year average. Harvested was 5 percent, near 1 last year and 3 average.

Soybean condition rated 7 percent very poor, 8 poor, 24 fair, 43 good, and 18 excellent. Soybeans dropping leaves was 83 percent, ahead of 71 last year and 74 average. Harvested was 12 percent, ahead of 3 last year and 6 average.

Next 10 days in NE SD we are expected to cool down and have a chance of moisture almost every day. Lows will start getting into the mid 30s, but still suppose to get into the 50-60 during the day. Season is a changing. I don't think a lot of harvest will take place over the next week do to the weather being damp. Was kind of hoping harvest would be a little a head of schedule so the hunters won't have to fight through 8 foot tall corn on opening weekend. Starting to see a little more pheasant activity around CRP and field edges. If you can find a good slough at sunset you should see the birds heading that direction. This should give you a better idea of pheasant numbers. Just not seeing as many along the roads as usual. SDViking

Rooster Sep18.jpgrooster1 Sept 18.jpgRooster2 Sep18.jpgRooster2 Sep18.jpgRooster2 Sep18.jpg

A couple of Rooster walked through the tree belt today. Sdviking

Laymans terms--probably no corn coming out before opener?

Quote Originally Posted by Byrdoglvr View Post
    Laymans terms--probably no corn coming out before opener?
    I don't think that the case. Maturity percent is ahead of the average and so is harvested but that is still a low number. Still weeks before the opener so unless it gets wet I will guess 55% will be harvested before the opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
    I don't think that the case. Maturity percent is ahead of the average and so is harvested but that is still a low number. Still weeks before the opener so unless it gets wet I will guess 55% will be harvested before the opener.
    Half the corn in less then three weeks? That would be great. Are they almost done with beans then? There's still some green in the corn around my house and we continue to be in a rainy pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrdoglvr View Post
    Half the corn in less then three weeks? That would be great. Are they almost done with beans then? There's still some green in the corn around my house and we continue to be in a rainy pattern.
    If it is dry enough to run I don’t think half in three weeks is out of the question. I am on the other side of hoping as would love to see them still have a a fair amount left when we get there in November. Time will tell.

South Dakota has a lot of soy beans this year and farmers are just getting a good run at them. If we can get a week of sunny weather the beans will get harvested quickly. Lots of beans are harvest ready farmers just delayed by the weather. Some corn is ready for harvest now, but farmers generally want to get the beans done first. Wet corn harvest has pretty much ended. We finished silage on Sunday on some late planted corn. We did see more birds than last year but we did release about 180 pheasants over the past 4 weeks, so no idea if these are wild or ones we released. SDViking

12% moisture level (corn) is about the limit for most guys........if it stays cool and wet that number will be hard to hit.

Well, a cold front came through South Dakota last night and things are changing now. We got down to 26 in NE South Dakota so leaves are now falling and the crops have stopped growing and will be drying down faster if we ever get the sun to come out. Raining today and the weather forecast is for 30s and 40s for the next week, plus cloudy most of that time. As soon as the sun comes back out the farmers will be hitting the fields 24 /7 to get the harvest done. Pheasant Season will be here very soon. Hope you and your dogs are in shape because the tall grass can be a challenge. SDViking