Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grain Free Dog Foods under fire?

Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    I thought about making my own out of the deer I shoot.
    Apparently you didn't read that article I posted above. Here is an excerpt from the article:

In my 20 years as a veterinary nutritionist, I’ve seen vast improvements in our knowledge about pet nutrition, in the quality of commercial pet foods, and in our pets’ nutritional health (other than the unfortunate rise in obesity). However, in the last few years I’ve seen more cases of nutritional deficiencies due to people feeding unconventional diets, such as unbalanced home-prepared diets, raw diets, vegetarian diets, and boutique commercial pet foods.
    I just don't know how people that feed raw or homemade dog foods can make sure they are providing a balanced diet for their dog. There have been many research hours put into making commercial dog food to ensure a good healthy diet.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Yep I read it. I am still considering making my own. The cost of quality dog food is outrageous. $70 plus for top end food and a 30 lb bag is crazy. Add in another $10 per month for heart wormer, keeping a dog is very costly. It is over $100 a month to keep 2 dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    In many cases it's not the grains to blame but the protein source.
    I have seen reference to this as well. Usually beef, lamb or some other meat source.

If the issue is taurine, it's not found in cereal grains either. So whether the pet food makers use corn/wheat/potatoes/lentils makes no difference with respect to taurine levels. Taurine is primarily found in muscle meat; poultry has higher amounts than beef/lamb/venison/etc.

https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/holis...-and-cats.aspx

Admittedly that's a pet food producer touting their own product but I believe they are correct about where taurine is found.

Interesting bit there about the history of dry dog food. I didn't realize WW2 figured into the transition so much.

It may be the cows at Chik-Fil-A have it right:

Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 1.44.29 PM.png
    Last edited by Chestle; 07-21-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chestle View Post
    If the issue is taurine, it's not found in cereal grains either. So whether the pet food makers use corn/wheat/potatoes/lentils makes no difference with respect to taurine levels. Taurine is primarily found in muscle meat; poultry has higher amounts than beef/lamb/venison/etc.

https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/holis...-and-cats.aspx

Admittedly that's a pet food producer touting their own product but I believe they are correct about where taurine is found.

Interesting bit there about the history of dry dog food. I didn't realize WW2 figured into the transition so much.

It may be the cows at Chik-Fil-A have it right:

Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 1.44.29 PM.png
    You are absolutely correct. Since taurine is not found in cereal grains what difference would it make if they use corn, potatoes or legumes?
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    You are absolutely correct. Since taurine is not found in cereal grains what difference would it make if they use corn, potatoes or legumes?
    my guess is there is more to this issue than has been uncovered so far......hopefully the panel investigating will figure out what may be going on.......it may well be not so much the lack of taurine, but the heavy presence of peas and legumes that is making the kibble dangerous to our dogs. i have no idea.

This DCM/taurine link has been known for a long time. Decades, even.

I think the "heavy presence of peas and legumes that is making the kibble dangerous to our dogs" is a problem but it is the basic underlying problem in most of the less expensive kibble.

Clipped this from the article I linked above:

However, the basic reason <reason for DCM - Chestle> remains the same for dogs as cats: there isnít enough real meat in the food to sustain a meat-eating predator like a dog or cat. The vast majority of dry pet foods out there contain little or no real meat, but instead use cheaper substitutes like grain proteins (corn gluten, wheat gluten, soy protein), and by-products such as meat and bone meal.
    I think THAT is where the problem is. IMO it isn't peas & legumes versus corn & wheat. It's meat protein versus cheaper plant sourced protein of any kind.

Eat Mor Chikin!

I give my dog a chicken egg or a few quail eggs, raw on top of her dry dog food. She loves them. I had never heard of taurine until this thread, but I googled it, and eggs are a source of taurine.

I'm not a veterinarian or a pet nutritionist, but adding an egg to your dog's food seems like one option for filling in the blanks that might be missing from your dry dog food. Might be worth asking your vet about.

I'm feeding a mixture of propac and eukenuba. Propac has rice and peas in it. Eukenuba corn. I didn't want to completely cut out corn and develop an intolerance. It keeps the cost down a little bit.

I feed Purina One. Vets always say how good my dogs look and how healthy they are. You can get it at any Walmart or supermarket, so you never have to go out of your way to find it nor have to change the dog's diet in the middle of a hunt if you run out.
    Last edited by BritChaser; 08-03-2018 at 08:55 AM.
    - From the office of Browning, Colt, Winchester & Savage