Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bird/ condition reports

Hey all, I never really put much faith in the crowing counts. The Sep brood counts are more accurate for sure. I use my local farmer/rancher contacts to find out what they are seeing, for me that's as accurate as you can get.

The hail they got last night, to my understanding was localized not widespread. I don't think it effected any of the nesting much, but some of the crops may have had some damage. More storms are due in tomorrow night, guess we'll see what they bring.

Best,

Greg
    Gregory J. Westberg
    MSG, USA
    Ret

So is the water levels in the sloughs looking good? I enjoy duck hunting also, so I am curious about that.

Hi, the potholes look pretty full. We didn't have a lot of snow runoff, but with the rain we've been getting they are in good shape. Still have this month and August to contend with as far as a drought goes. Hope it continues to rain like it has been.

Best,

Greg
    Gregory J. Westberg
    MSG, USA
    Ret

I havent seen a brood yet
    The people that have stated they see only 2 or 3 chicks in them
    Sorry for the debbie downer report

Quote Originally Posted by JO BO View Post
    I havent seen a brood yet
    The people that have stated they see only 2 or 3 chicks in them
    Sorry for the debbie downer report
    I saw my first brood this morning as I was going out to spray Canada Thistle

They were in the alfalfa field that was cut a couple weeks ago. Looked to be a few weeks old. Best part is there were 9 of them.

This was South of Bowman ND.

On the news they showed where a nasty hail storm had hit near Elgin. Didn't say exactly where, but covered thousands of acres. What was shoulder high corn was torn down to stumps that where about a foot high.

http://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news/C...487526191.html
    Last edited by Lazy Ike; 07-09-2018 at 04:32 PM. Reason: found link

Hail has been a large problem in this region of the state this year. Places like scranton, reeder and hettinger have had huge amonts. Saw a video somewhere showing 16 inch deep hail around hettinger.
    On a brighter note i flushed a hen with at least 6 chicks today. It was tall grass so maybe some hid and never flew so may have missed a couple.