Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lots of birds!!!

South Dakota is all over the place this year. In my area it is dry, in some parts of the state it has been very wet and are still planting. We will see.

another system moved through a good hunk of central SD early today...it appears to be over my general area right now...they want rain about now...again, temps are pretty ideal for chicks, whereas last year about now they were REALLY hot, as in causing chick mortality...

My daughter found a nest with 14 eggs in it, I think we are better off than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by haymaker View Post
    My daughter found a nest with 14 eggs in it, I think we are better off than last year.
    Wow! Go Pheasants!! Just curious....what's the most eggs anyone has ever seen in a nest?
    Last edited by A5 Sweet 16; 06-18-2018 at 07:42 AM.
    "Deader is better."

Haven't seen any wild pheasant chicks yet, here in NE South Dakota. Really thought we would be seeing them by now. Farmers mowing hay fields so not a good sign for nesting pheasants. SDviking

Yesterday I was cutting some first year alfalfa seeding. That must be the perfect environment for chicks. Small bugs and worms everywhere, a lot of diversity of plant specie. I did see quite a few chicks too.