Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JP has cancer

Quote Originally Posted by quail hound View Post
    Well we didn't get great news from our consult. JP's cancer is in his scapula and humerus for sure and they aren't sure where else without a slew of more tests and scans by an oncologist at UC Davis. I haven't decided what we're going to do yet but in the meantime JP and are going to enjoy doing the things we love to do together like todays nice easy run and swim at the river.

Attachment 8310
    So very sorry to hear of this----best wishes and yes enjoy your time together.
    Thinking of you and JP. ---SDJIM---
    Pheasants Forever Life Member

Thank you all again. It's been tough sledding here for me but JP doesn't know what the fuss is about. He's in good health and good spirits as of now. We have an appointment with Oncology at UC Davis Thursday. If they think an amputation can resolve the issue we will go that route but if it's much more involved I'll opt to just enjoy my time with the old boy. He's nearly 10 now and has lead a pretty awesome life as far as a bird dog goes enjoying hunting 12 species of birds in 5 states with me including some of our favorite times spent there in SD with you Jim.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by quail hound View Post
    Thank you all again. It's been tough sledding here for me but JP doesn't know what the fuss is about. He's in good health and good spirits as of now. We have an appointment with Oncology at UC Davis Thursday. If they think an amputation can resolve the issue we will go that route but if it's much more involved I'll opt to just enjoy my time with the old boy. He's nearly 10 now and has lead a pretty awesome life as far as a bird dog goes enjoying hunting 12 species of birds in 5 states with me including some of our favorite times spent there in SD with you Jim.
    Hey QH...

Well, crap. Words don't work, mostly. The best I've come up with is the meager solace that comes from knowing that, were it possible for JP to be given a choice, he wouldn't have substituted one day of his time with you for anything else.

Small comfort, if any, I know. Consider what an enormous gift he's been to you.

You have my heart.

Bill
    Kis
    For hunters, Fall is the island towards which we swim all year.

Thank you Bill.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hope all goes well

We went to see the oncologist at the UC yesterday. They believe there's a chance the amputation can resolve his issue so we're scheduled for surgery next Thursday. After the surgery the tumors will be evaluated better and we will know what they are and if they're a type that is just locally invasive or something that is more apt to spread though there's no sign they have metastasized at this point.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just question if you really want to put JP through this at his age. Sometimes when we get to this stage with our pets we have to ask if we are doing this in the best interests of the pet, or ourselves?? I guess that comes down to a personal decision. Best of luck with JP.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

I sure hope I am George, I understand your concern and believe me I've agonized over this decision since his first diagnosis, I've lost a lot of sleep over it. He is by all accounts in perfect health besides the cancer, he's physically sound, in great shape and has great energy still. Both options are bad but I believe (and so does his vet) that he has a good quality of life to look forward to. I have tried to set my emotions aside and make a decision based on his best interest and I do hope I've done that.

Here's JP having fun today on our river run.

DSC_2407-01_zps0bqiyzjv.jpeg
    Last edited by quail hound; 05-26-2018 at 07:25 PM.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

JP's surgery was successful with no complications and good margins on the tumors. Less than 20hrs post he is already up and moving around on his own. The surgeons said that he's up faster than they've seen a dog let alone one that is nearly 10 years old.

IMG_20180601_153354_102_zpslu6ge98n.jpg

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hey Robert - so sad to see your buddy altered, but understand it was life-saving. My thoughts are with you...Max too!

Jon