Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non Toxic 20 gauge loads

I really like the Kent Bismuth 1 oz. load of #5's out of either my 20 Ga. or 16 Ga. The Kent TungstenMatrix work great too, but they are "pricey". If shooting steel (seldom), I use the 3" load of #3's.

All that stuff is overrated.Cheap steel loads will do just as well.Its the shooter, not the shotgun, or the shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Olden Cranky View Post
    I really like the Kent Bismuth 1 oz. load of #5's out of either my 20 Ga. or 16 Ga. The Kent TungstenMatrix work great too, but they are "pricey". If shooting steel (seldom), I use the 3" load of #3's.
    Just so people know, Kent discontinued T-M in 16 gauge a couple years ago. Sad day. Spendy stuff, but it hit hard.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    All that stuff is overrated.Cheap steel loads will do just as well.Its the shooter, not the shotgun, or the shell.
    And.........GO!!
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I shot these the other day with Kent Fasteel 20 gauge 2's usiing my hammer double.
    pretty sure that ammo will take down a pheasant as well! !
    DT
    LCI5Akf.jpg

where can a guy buy some Prairie Storm #3 steels?
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze

I have a couple of thing to add to this thread. I do not hunt with a 20 gauge but use a 16 gauge sxs. I hunt pheasants exclusively with steel shot. I often use handloaded 7/8 oz of #4 or #3 steel at a published velocity of 1550 fps.

I really think that #3 steel is the sweet spot for pheasants.

I recently obtained two boxes of 15/16 oz of #3 steel from Sporting Ammo. Their performance on pheasants is solid. I have hit and killed 5 pheasants with that load this fall and not one of these birds was able to move after being hit.

Sporting Ammo II is on Facebook and they make a 20 gauge 7/8 oz load at 1475 fps that is available in #3 and #4 steel.

https://www.facebook.com/sportingammo/

I cannot imagine that this would not be a good pheasant load.

Also, Rogers Sporting Goods carries 20 gauge Black Cloud in #3 steel.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...z-1350fps.html

Quote Originally Posted by John Singer View Post
    I often use handloaded 7/8 oz of #4 or #3 steel at a published velocity of 1550 fps. I really think that #3 steel is the sweet spot for pheasants.
    If you must shoot steel, then I agree. #3 is the sweet spot. And I think as long as you're over 1400 fps or so, they're plenty for pheasants. If for whatever reason what you're shooting is slower (which would be uncommon these days), I'd go w/ 2's.