Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non Toxic 20 gauge loads

Default Non Toxic 20 gauge loads

Iím sure this has been discussed numerous times but what has everyone had luck with for 20 gauge nontoxic loads for pheasant? Iíve bought a couple different brands but they donít pattern well. Trying to figure out what brand Iím going to buy for my trip to South Dakota this year. Thank you!

Kent Bismuth 5 ‘s have been a good performer and tested well on the pattern board for me ; Heavy Metal 3’s one ounce in 3inch solid performer as well #3 Winchester Drylock

Price no object #6 Hevi-shot original 12 gram one ounce of that stuff pure poison on ducks and pheasant in a 2 3/4inch load .

Quote Originally Posted by KSBrittman View Post
    Kent Bismuth 5 Ďs have been a good performer and tested well on the pattern board for me ; Heavy Metal 3ís one ounce in 3inch solid performer as well #3 Winchester Drylock

Price no object #6 Hevi-shot original 12 gram one ounce of that stuff pure poison on ducks and pheasant in a 2 3/4inch load .
    While I prefer abject overkill, flinging an entire ounce of bismuth 5's (Kent) via 16 gauge, killing roosters way harder than I should, my buddy LOVES the Hevi 6's in his tiny 20. They kill birds hard from his S&W SxS.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I have been using Federal Heavyweight 7s 2 3/4s in my 20 with some success. They are really soft shooters. They’re tight tho; been using IC bottom and Skeet 2 on the top. Bad thing is they break the bank when you miss. They will allow a 20ga to really reach out, tho.

Iím still working through Remingtonís HD loads 20ga 3 inch 1 1/4oz

1 oz steel 3's, kills pheasants, ducks and snow geese. I friend kills 80+ Canada geese with 1 oz 20 gauge steel #2s.
    "It takes birds to make a bird dog"

I would like to try out the Kent Bismuth this year, torn between weather to shoot 5's or 6's though in my 20 GA

Quote Originally Posted by 1100 Remington Man View Post
    Iím still working through Remingtonís HD loads 20ga 3 inch 1 1/4oz
    Ditto, I wish Remington would do a special run. I swap out for lead when allowed to preserve my remaining 6 boxes. Working on developing handloads of ITX-13.

I really like shooting prairie storm 3" #3's or the new Hexi-X tungsten #3's in my A400 20ga both will kill birds out to 45-50yds

I can't afford those expensive loads, because I shoot too much, but if I buy steel, I try to get Remington in bb, or 2. They sell for around 13.