Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog Food Recall

Quote Originally Posted by McFarmer View Post
    I hunt with a guy who is all about a meat based dog food.

Don't know if it correlated but his dog takes about four tries before he can finish a bowel movement. I think they need grains for the fiber. Maybe a good food has enough fiber of some other sort.
    There's also an ingredient high in fiber used in many feeds that many would simply think is filler and that is Beet pulp. Very high in fiber. Keeps your pooch regular ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster Cogburn View Post
    We all have choices. You be the judge. Dog Food Reviews & Ratings dogfoodadvisor.com
    You have to take what's printed on that website with a grain of salt. literally... They are very biased on what they deem as a 5 star food.

Example: Take Pro Plan Sport, they give it a 2 and a half stars out of 5. There are literally hundreds, heck thousands of breeders, trainers, hunters or people in the field trial games that feed Pro Plan and have for a long time and there dogs thrive on it. Just because Purina sponsors many of those trials, I would have to believe that if anyone of them thought Pro Plan was not cutting the mustard and they could do better in regards to energy, coat condition, muscle tone or overall general health they'd look elsewhere and wouldn't feed it regardless. So.... again take the info on this site with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by birdshooter; 03-02-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Purina has been around for ages. I use to feed Purina Hi Pro back in the late 80's. It was the highest rated protein available from them @ 28%. #1 source of protein was corn. I stuck with Purina for years, way before they were on the bag with breeder endorsements, etc. Some call this good advertisement & marketing. The same can be said about the "show" dog shows on TV, endorsed by another brand. There are far more manufacturers out there today & that web site is independent viewing of all brands make up, ranging from 1-5 stars. They do state that other factors than ingredients plays a key roll in the rating. If, a person takes the time to review their brands make-up & chooses to stay or switch, so be it.

Point taken. I just want to reiterate again that while that website has a lot of information it doesn't and can't determine if or what feed YOUR dog will do well on. That is purely trial and error, and what we've seen is that while one feed works for one dog it may not for another. There are plenty of dogs that do well on food that they have rated lower(below 3 stars).
    Last edited by birdshooter; 03-02-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster Cogburn View Post
    We all have choices. You be the judge. Dog Food Reviews & Ratings dogfoodadvisor.com
    Do not put a lot of faith in what Dog Food Advisor says. You will notice that the grain free and organic foods all receive high ratings. And yet ProPlan only gets like 2.5 stars, yet ProPlan Sport is fed to the vast majority of hunting and field trial dogs and they do great.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5