Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone out hunting?

Been out a bunch but DNR stopped stocking on a lot of the grounds. Only a handful were stocked this week.

Went out yesterday for a couple hours. Was the first time since I went out to SD the first week of November. Flushed 3 hens, no roosters. All the fresh tracks I saw appeared to be smaller hen tracks. I wish we would take the direction of MN and help landowners get their land enrolled in CRP or similar programs. I believe MN led the country in CRP enrollment this year. Unfortunately predators aren't the biggest problem, habitat is. When I hunted MN, SD, KS and CO there were lots of hawks, coyote, foxes, raccoons and skunks. The difference is the habitat. Most grassy/wetland areas around here are only suitible for winter cover and too low for nesting in spring. Any land that is dry enough for nesting cover is cropland. Also, we don't have enough quality large (100+ acres) wildlife areas to provide for a population of wild birds. We need private lands in grassland in order for the pheasant population to improve. Write your representative and let them know how much this means to you! Maybe we can get something started. Join PF, they are a huge voice for everyone who is worried about improving habitat. Good luck for the rest of the season. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!

Ended the season in the bitter cold on Sunday with some terrible shooting. Flushed 3 roosters, two I should've killed, 6 other hens flushed right at my feet, Saturday flushed 3 hens and another rooster that should also be dead. Missed 7 of 8 to end the year after a streak of 18/19 killed (or something similar). Ended with 12 killed in WI and 13 in SD for a total rooster count of 25 flushed/retrieved by my golden. Almost needed this year to be done so I can reset my brain for next year. Pup needs to get a new owner that can shoot!

Nice.

I tried a few more times, saw a wild bird - a hen.

Went up where I deer hunt & shot some grouse last weekend - it was a little cool.