Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zignature Dog Food

My vet is where I have the allergy testing done. They took a blood sample and sent it into some lab. Cost was about $300. The panels they run test for many things like grasses, trees, weeds ,dust mites, etc. and also food allergies. I'm not sure how accurate the test is and my vet even said it is not totally accurate. You can also have skin allergy tests done like they do in humans where they inject various allergens under the skin and see which ones the dog reacts to. I'm sure that is much more accurate.

Is your dog on any meds to control the itching, biting and head shaking? My dog has been receiving Cytopoint injections about every 2 months and it has totally controlled her itching. There is also an oral med called Apoquel that you give daily. Apoquel and Cytopoint are made by the same company. I like the Cytopoint because it's just once every 2 months rather than a daily pill.

If your dog truly have allergies it is a bugger to deal with. It's been over a year and I still don't know what my dog is truly allergic to and may never know. You may seek out a pet dermatologist or go to a vet school that treats pets. Not sure where you are located but I've had dogs to the vet school at the University of Minnesota a couple of times. They have a lot more resources than your local vet.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Good Info, thanks!

My dog is not on any medication. I've heard and read about Apoquel, and heard the side affects could be very bad. I suppose that can be with anything.

That's a lot of money for allergy testing. But, I do live in the Minneapolis area so I could go to the U of M pretty easily.

I'm going to look into it more and see what I can do.

Thanks for you help Dakotazeb

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    My vet is where I have the allergy testing done. They took a blood sample and sent it into some lab. Cost was about $300. The panels they run test for many things like grasses, trees, weeds ,dust mites, etc. and also food allergies. I'm not sure how accurate the test is and my vet even said it is not totally accurate. You can also have skin allergy tests done like they do in humans where they inject various allergens under the skin and see which ones the dog reacts to. I'm sure that is much more accurate.

Is your dog on any meds to control the itching, biting and head shaking? My dog has been receiving Cytopoint injections about every 2 months and it has totally controlled her itching. There is also an oral med called Apoquel that you give daily. Apoquel and Cytopoint are made by the same company. I like the Cytopoint because it's just once every 2 months rather than a daily pill.

If your dog truly have allergies it is a bugger to deal with. It's been over a year and I still don't know what my dog is truly allergic to and may never know. You may seek out a pet dermatologist or go to a vet school that treats pets. Not sure where you are located but I've had dogs to the vet school at the University of Minnesota a couple of times. They have a lot more resources than your local vet.

If you are in the Twin Cities area I would strongly suggest a visit to the U of M. Especially if you normal vet is unable to figure it out. No doubt you are going to drop some money before you're done but our four legged dogs are worth it.

My previous dog had cancer and we had to put her down in Nov. 2016. I made two trips to the U of M before we found out what her problem was. Now this allergy pup. In the past year and a half I've spent $6,000 on vets and that doesn't include travel.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    Now this allergy pup. In the past year and a half I've spent $6,000 on vets and that doesn't include travel.
    OUCH !! But I completely understand. They're essentially our kids and what wouldn't we all do for our kids.