Thread: Hunt today in gale force winds

Default Hunt today in gale force winds

Took off work today, hunted pretty much all day. Morning spots were a complete bust.... one small covey of 6-8 birds that I let go, pretty sad to see them shot down that low and it isn't even late season yet, doubt they will make it.

Didn't really get into birds until 1:00 pm. Quit at 3:30 with 4 coveys, 18 hens pointed with 2 roosters, none of which were shot. Ended the day with 5 quail. Not bad considering the high winds and terrible scenting conditions.
    -Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MAB7799 View Post
    Took off work today, hunted pretty much all day. Morning spots were a complete bust.... one small covey of 6-8 birds that I let go, pretty sad to see them shot down that low and it isn't even late season yet, doubt they will make it.

Didn't really get into birds until 1:00 pm. Quit at 3:30 with 4 coveys, 18 hens pointed with 2 roosters, none of which were shot. Ended the day with 5 quail. Not bad considering the high winds and terrible scenting conditions.
    I am in western Kansas and never noticed the wind yesterday. Just a normal day.

Quote Originally Posted by MAB7799 View Post

Sounds like a solid hunt given the conditions you described.

While the small covey you saw may have been shot out, there are a lot of predators out there as well that could have reduced their numbers. No one hardly traps furbearers any more due to low prices for furs. Am convinced that has had a negative impact on the quail population in NE KS.

Just curious, why didn't you shoot the roosters that were pointed?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Just curious, why didn't you shoot the roosters that were pointed?
    Didn't have a shot on either one. Flushed out back sides of plum thickets.
    -Mark