Thread: 2017 Reports?

Default 2017 Reports?

Just thought I would start a thread to see how people are doing.

It has been slow thus far this year, but I am hoping with this upcoming cold spell that maybe things will get better. I have seen quite a few quail on my outings which is always fun getting into. Pheasants have been hit or miss. I have been getting out in the SE and central parts of the state and both seem to have birds, but it is just a matter of finding them and getting close. Have been skunked a few times (still saw some hens which was nice) which hasn't been as bad since we have bumped into some quail. Like others have reported I have seen quite a bit of out of state hunters this year and they seem to have mixed reviews. A lot of them are here for the quail and have usually been able to find them.

Headed to the SW portion of the state for the first time and I am excited and trying to keep my expectations low from the various reports I have seen on here and heard from others. We will be hunting all public so I am crossing my fingers we don't run into too many grazed or hayed fields and can get on some birds. Either way it will be a good time with good friends!

Hope everyone is doing well and hope to hear from some of you on how the season is coming along.

I've primarily hunted the SE part of the state, and gotten into quail every time. If I could shoot, I'd be set, but I can't. The quail appear to be in good shape. We pushed 5 big coveys on Turkey Day.

Hunted the S Central part the week of Thanksgiving, conditions were hot and dry. I was able to take a rooster on the first day of my trip, and then missed one the second day. That's all we saw for roosters, ran into a few hens and quail again. I was disappointed, as I was really hoping to see a lot more action.

All spots I hunt are public access.

Unfortunately on the Friday after Thanksgiving I stepped in a hole while walk some CRP and messed up my ankle. I am on the shelf right now, but hoping to get back out in the next week or so.
    Schemy

Been out opener and the third weekend, lots of standing corn and seeing less birds that last year?? Working to get out a couple more times, anyone seeing many birds in December, corn should all be down. Looking to get a young dog onto some quail so curious what folks are seeing for quail?

Happy Christmas and safe hunting.