Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun didn't fire! I need solutions for lubrication.

Default Gun didn't fire! I need solutions for lubrication.

Ok guys here was my predicament last weekend. I have a sweet O/U Browning white lightning. It has shot flawlessly for me for the 4-5 years that I have owned it. Saturday it refused to fire. I couldn't get a firing pin to work. Got it home took the stock off of it and as near as I can tell here was the problem. When you break open an O/U it cocks the hammers and makes it ready to fire again. When I broke it open it didn't reset the mechanisms. I began to spray gun scrubber throughout the entire inner workings of the gun. Eventually it loosened up, and now it works fine. I have let it sit out on my bench and tried it again yesterday and everything still works fine. My question is what if any lubrication do you put into this part of the gun to keep it moving freely. I know that too much oil of grease will only cause the issue to come back. What have you found to be the right amount of lubrication to work in all temps especially cold weather and what will not just attract more junk to attach and clog the gun up again?

A light coating of Rem oil is what I would use.

Quote Originally Posted by Highvoltage View Post
    A light coating of Rem oil is what I would use.
    +1 (although no doubt others will have equally good suggestions)
    RemOil has worked very well for me on all my guns, in all conditions, for a lot of years.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I have used rem oil exclusively for years on both of my Citori's and never had an issue.
    Ed Hammons
    Chouteau, Ok

CLP. This recommended by a fellow that writes for the "Shotgun Report." CLP is good to -40. Would assume Rem oil is good, also.

How often is one supposed to clean an over/under?

Guys, can you use too much remoil? I am just wondering about gumming up? I have also heard guys who use WD40 since all it is is "water replacement." I also have some dry silicone lubricant has anyone used that?

+1 for the CLP. Get yourself a can of Break Free CLP and it's all you will need.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Break...IPJQ&gclsrc=ds

I had an auto loaded that the action would really get slow in cold weather. I tried various gun lubricants and none seemed to work. Then I got some Break Free CLP and the problem was solved. That action functioned as fast and smooth in below zero weather as it did if it was 90 degrees.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

There are a number of light spray on oils you can use just use them LIGHTLY, and do not use WD40 for it will gum up. If you have been using it in the past that is what got you into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Guys, can you use too much remoil? I am just wondering about gumming up? I have also heard guys who use WD40 since all it is is "water replacement." I also have some dry silicone lubricant has anyone used that?
    Yes, there's such a thing as too much. Since the inner workings of an O/U are by & large protected from dust/gunk, but also the parts that tend to get cleaned & oiled the least frequently, I'd spray them lightly; then wipe off with a dry cloth. Or....don't spray. Just get a rather oily cloth & try to wipe everything down good. Either way.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I've heard it recommended to leave the inner workings dry on an O/U too. That may be fine for somebody who shoots clays on sunny days. I have a hard time with it for a field gun.