Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyebowhunter View Post
    Hoping for some more first hand reviews on the new A5 Sweet Sixteen.

Local Scheels has a '59 Belgium Made Sweet Sixteen, but they are asking $1650 vs $1499 for the new A5.

Ability to change chokes is a biggie for me, steel not so much as I'd shoot Bismuth or HW13 from it regardless of what I'm chasing.

Would primarily be an upland gun, my SBE2 is the ugly camo and is my duck and waterfowl machine.
    I have the new Sweet 16. Bought it last Fall at the Cabela's in Mitchell, and I really like it.
    At 5 lbs 13 oz, it's a pleasure to carry all day. Since it's light in weight, it will thump you pretty good with pheasant loads.
    I've always been a Remington man, but the new Sweet 16 fits me much better than my 1100. Couldn't be happier with it.

Quote Originally Posted by roadscholar View Post
    I have the new Sweet 16. Bought it last Fall at the Cabela's in Mitchell, and I really like it.
    At 5 lbs 13 oz, it's a pleasure to carry all day. Since it's light in weight, it will thump you pretty good with pheasant loads.
    I've always been a Remington man, but the new Sweet 16 fits me much better than my 1100. Couldn't be happier with it.
    Thinking I'd load up some Bismuth, or HW13 in #6 or #7 in the one ounce variety so shouldn't be awful I'm thinking.

"Shotgun Report" has an interesting discussion on felt recoil, shell load and gun weight. There seems to be a big jump in recoil from 1 0z to 1.125 as well as a 10% increase in recoil, with a lighter-weight gun.

Recoil table I looked at indicated: 7# gun, 1oz load = 21.5 recoil. Same gun with 1.25 load - 27.6 recoil. This is for 16ga. gun. Stands to reason, lighter gun = more kick...
    Last edited by jonnyB; 07-16-2018 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    "Shotgun Report" has an interesting discussion on felt recoil, shell load and gun weight. There seems to be a big jump in recoil from 1 0z to 1.125 as well as a 10% increase in recoil, with a lighter-weight gun.

Recoil table I looked at indicated: 7# gun, 1oz load = 21.5 recoil. Same gun with 1.25 load - 27.6 recoil. This is for 16ga. gun. Stands to reason, lighter gun = more kick...
    So what's the recoil factor in a 6 lb. gun?
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

According to Bruce Buck, Shotgun Report, about a 10% increase - give or take. At least that's what I took from his article and explanation. Biggest change in recoil seems to come from the various shell loads one uses.

With my gas gun, I can tell a big difference in recoil, from 1 oz. to 1.250. It's a good article...
    Last edited by jonnyB; 07-16-2018 at 03:44 PM.

I've shot enough 3.5" 2 ounce turkey loads from my SBE II that I'm not worried about recoil from a 16 gauge honestly.

Wouldn't be high volume outside of shooting a box of clays a couple times a month anyway, and those would be 7/8 oz anyways.

I have looked at the A5 16ga at Cabelas and Runnings last week. The A5 with 26 inch barrel feels to light and it would be hard to make crossing shots with it.
    I was tempted to buy the the A5 16ga wiih 28 in barrel or a closeout on a Browning 525 16ga for $999, but I passed on both at Runnings.
    I was concerned about gun fit with A5 and firing pin problems with the 525.
    I ended up with the last 12 ga Browning Maxus Hunter in the store with 26 in barrel at Runnings for $1274. before tax.

Where is the Running's store you referred to?

Thanks.

Monticello MN,the 525 16ga was already
    sold.

Thanks. You'll like the Maxus, especially the magazine cutoff feature - wish they would install that on every gun. I almost bought the Maxus, but passed for the new hump Browning Stalker. Had some issues at first, but it now seems to work fine.

I'm still considering a Browning A5 20 (used)...