Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52

Thread: Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen

  1. #11

    Default

    Any chance they come out with a high grade version like they did with 12 this year?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SotaDakota
    Posts
    3,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    George, I have the new A5 in 12 Ga. shot it today and it functions OK.

    One problem: there is a lever under and in front of the trigger guard that can cycle a shell, if needed. Have found no use for this when hunting upland. In fact, I bumped the lever twice and a shell pulled from the magazine and ended outside/underneath the chamber...not good! Had to cycle the shells and start over again. Others have had this problem when hunting upland...

    The gun is easier to load than my old A5.
    The gun will fire just fine with a shell on the carrier. Nothing dangerous. Don't worry about that lever.
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Minnetonka/Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,840

    Default

    Thanks for the tip...the shell is trapped "under" the carrier. Will it still cycle?

    Thanks!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SotaDakota
    Posts
    3,058

    Default

    18118422_314573032294507_3094550476496526160_n.jpg

    My 3.5" camo A5 has been flawless through two season's. Put lots of ducks in the freezer.(3 hunters)
    Last edited by onpoint; 12-06-2017 at 05:51 PM.
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SotaDakota
    Posts
    3,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    Thanks for the tip...the shell is trapped "under" the carrier. Will it still cycle?

    Thanks!
    Yep, it will cycle just fine.
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onpoint View Post
    Yep, it will cycle just fine.
    Many autoloaders have this "problem" (which can be annoying, but really isn't a problem). Benellis, Berettas, you name it. But they all cycle just fine. When you pull the trigger under normal circumstances, it effectively pushes this button & allows a shell to drop from the magazine. When you accidentally hit the button, you've just saved a step when the gun is actually fired.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Central IA
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Hoping for some more first hand reviews on the new A5 Sweet Sixteen.

    Local Scheels has a '59 Belgium Made Sweet Sixteen, but they are asking $1650 vs $1499 for the new A5.

    Ability to change chokes is a biggie for me, steel not so much as I'd shoot Bismuth or HW13 from it regardless of what I'm chasing.

    Would primarily be an upland gun, my SBE2 is the ugly camo and is my duck and waterfowl machine.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Minnetonka/Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,840

    Default

    Have been looking at used A5, 20ga - most are higher priced than new guns! And I noticed the used 16's are pricey too...

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Dakota / Arizona
    Posts
    6,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyebowhunter View Post
    Hoping for some more first hand reviews on the new A5 Sweet Sixteen.

    Local Scheels has a '59 Belgium Made Sweet Sixteen, but they are asking $1650 vs $1499 for the new A5.

    Ability to change chokes is a biggie for me, steel not so much as I'd shoot Bismuth or HW13 from it regardless of what I'm chasing.

    Would primarily be an upland gun, my SBE2 is the ugly camo and is my duck and waterfowl machine.
    Unless that '59 Sweet is in "Mint" condition that price is way too much. Check what the Belgium made Sweets are selling for on GunBroker.com. I bought a '60 SweetSixteen with a 26" vent rib barrel choked IC and in very nice (but used) condition a few years ago for about $900.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

    Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Central IA
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    Unless that '59 Sweet is in "Mint" condition that price is way too much. Check what the Belgium made Sweets are selling for on GunBroker.com. I bought a '60 SweetSixteen with a 26" vent rib barrel choked IC and in very nice (but used) condition a few years ago for about $900.
    It does look damn good honestly, but it's fixed mod choke. It doesn't hold any sentimental value to me, my gpa is more utilitarian in his shotgun choices-12 gauge pump varieties.

    May just go with the new one as it's much lighter and I can swap out chokes if necessary.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •