Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question after first hunt

Default Question after first hunt

I have a 1 year old SM that I took out for her first pheasant hunt on Tuesday, previously she's only been on game farm and trainer birds. This was very different cover then anything she was trained in and I'm hoping that's what the issue was or maybe it was something else. We came across 11 birds, 10 of which were hens, including a pack of 3 and a pack of 4, and at no point did she ever point the birds, in fact most of the time she didn't even seem to know the birds where there and just ran buy them and they happened to flush in the process. In her training with trapped pigeons and planted chuckars she was pointing about 90% of the time and holding for a minute or two. Thoughts?
    Greta - 2 year old Small Munsterlander

Quote Originally Posted by Dami0101 View Post
    I have a 1 year old SM that I took out for her first pheasant hunt on Tuesday, previously she's only been on game farm and trainer birds. This was very different cover then anything she was trained in and I'm hoping that's what the issue was or maybe it was something else. We came across 11 birds, 10 of which were hens, including a pack of 3 and a pack of 4, and at no point did she ever point the birds, in fact most of the time she didn't even seem to know the birds where there and just ran buy them and they happened to flush in the process. In her training with trapped pigeons and planted chuckars she was pointing about 90% of the time and holding for a minute or two. Thoughts?
    Interesting! Not a pointer expert, so my only guess is that yes, she's going to figure out that free-range pheasants, whose instinct is to run/hide/flush or a combination thereof, act different than the little planted birds. Maybe once she realizes that, the pointing will come. Others will hopefully help out more in that department, although I'm guessing some will say "continue to hunt her" & others will advocate "stop hunting immediately & get back to training". But I'm also guessing she knew those birds were around. Maybe not EXACTLY where, but I'll bet in most instances she had a clue. I've noticed with my springers that sometimes it just takes longer to really get hot & home in on them. And sometimes, while they're just starting to maybe get a little birdy, jumpy birds will flush "over there". It may seem like the dog didn't even know they existed, but they know.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Dami, I've had the same issue with my 16 month old Brittany. She was at the trainers for 2 months this summer and did very well pointing and holding point, but she was mainly on pigeons in launchers and a few pen raised quail. Took her Montana in September and she never pointed one bird. She had plenty of opportunities on Sharpies and Huns. So far this fall pheasant hunting has been a challenge with her. She will do a nice job of pointing if the bird holds tight, but if the bird is moving she tracks it until she flushes it. She is a very big running dog and quite difficult to control in the field. But I do see signs she is starting to figure these birds out. As many have told me get her on a many birds as possible. But with pheasant numbers really down this year that has also been a challenge. I've had Brittanys for 20+ years and never had an issue like I've had with this one. No doubt at times she is out running her nose. I will get her back to a trainer after the season and see if he can help her along. Get Greta on as many wild birds as you can. If she has the breeding she will get it sooner later. Our problem is it's not soon enough!
    Last edited by Dakotazeb; 11-18-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

She’ll get it. Pen birds are really smelly and dumb. Wild birds are...well... wild

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    Dami, I've had the same issue with my 16 month old Brittany. She was a the trainers for 2 months this summer and did very well pointing and holding point, but she was mainly on pigeons in launchers and a few pen raised quail. Took her Montana in September and she never pointed one bird. She had plenty of opportunities on Sharpies and Huns. So far this fall pheasant hunting has been a challenge with her. She will do a nice job of pointing if the bird hold tight, but it the bird is moving she tracks it until she flushes it. She is a very big running dog and quite difficult to control in the field. But I do see signs she is starting to figure these birds out. As many have told me get her on a many birds as possible. But with pheasant numbers really down this year that has also been a challenge. I've had Brittanys for 20+ years and never had an issue like I've had with this one. No doubt at times she is out running her nose. I will get her back to a trainer after the season and see if he can help her along. Get Greta on as many wild birds as you can. If she has the breeding she will get it sooner later. Our problem is it's not soon enough!
    Well put Zeb , I have a dog that shows all kind of potential but hasn't quite put it all together . I've had superstars as pups and just keep right on going , one of my best dog's didn't put it all together till her 3rd season . When it all came together it was a thing of Beauty !!!

What were the conditions of your hunt? Were you hunting into the wind? Could just be there were poor scenting conditions that day

Quote Originally Posted by Dami0101 View Post
    Don't forget that hen pheasants have very little sent compared to roosters, ducks, checkers, pigeons etc. In addition pen raised birds have considerably more odor than wild birds. I have no idea why hen Pheasant's give off so little sent but anyone the plays retriever game knows that a hen pheasant thrown in the cover will give a lot more trouble than a rooster or a duck
    "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

I agree with the guys above. Pen raised birds are a whole different animal than wild birds. It took my dog 2 years to really figure things out. It probably took another year or two before she really understood how to handle a running bird. Keep getting her out and she will eventually figure out how to handle them. I think having patience is key. It can be frustrating to see them kick up birds and not seem to have a clue but instincts will eventually take over. If you can get out with a solid pointer and get them on birds that will be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
    Don't forget that hen pheasants have very little sent compared to roosters
    This is the first time I've heard this. Is this theory based solely on experience, or is there some scientific study (using pheasants; not dogs) to back it up? If experienced-based, I'm guessing the phenomenon is easier seen with dead birds thrown into cover, as opposed to healthy, live birds in cover who are allowed to do their thing???? My experience tells me that live, wild hens certainly have ENOUGH scent to arouse a dog who knows why he's out there. And I've never known my dogs to act more birdy with a rooster. Very curious.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

A5- I agree with you that I have never seen my dog act a whole lot differently with hens vs roosters. Hens will usually hold tighter but other than that she points both.