Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Crop weed killer killing chicks?

Yes I saw that. Some even say they'd drink it.
    See;Aside from that adult humans are a lot different than ground a nesting bird's eggs and chicks.
    Last edited by huntsem; 04-24-2019 at 11:04 AM.

I don’t know if roundup causes cancer, but judging by this thread, exposure to it seems to make people dumber.

Animals do not have the enzymatic site of action that glyphosate binds to and reacts with, only plants. Which is why glyphosate has no effect on humans or animals.

Secondly, RoundUp is on its way out (for agricultural use in KS) due to increasing weed resistance issues. Farmers are using less RoundUp, and more herbicides with different sites of action, as well as new cultural control techniques (i.e. cover crops, different crop varieties) to help control weeds. They heyday of glyphosate use was in the 90's, so if it had a negative impact on pheasants, it would've been evident a long time ago.

Roundup aside this is some killer weather for pheasant making.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownDogsCan2 View Post
    Roundup aside this is some killer weather for pheasant making.
    Indeed it is

I used to raise pheasant to release. I sprayed my flight pen with round up to keep the ragweed from growing up through the netting. I never saw any harm to the chicks from it and they would have got a lot higher dose from a hand sprayer then they would in the field. Gly attacks an enzyme that animals don't have.

From what I've read exposure to some of the other solvents that are combined with glyphosate can also be unhealthy. There is supposedly also evidence that over time the use of roundup has a damaging effect on soil microbes and digestive tract microbes in various animal species which can weaken the immune system. I expect the degree to which it is used in the environment can make a difference.

I think round up is to blame for my truck being a pos. Think Monsanto will buy me a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
    I don’t know if roundup causes cancer, but judging by this thread, exposure to it seems to make people dumber.
    So dumb farmers ? Maybe I don’t understand.

Quote Originally Posted by huntsem View Post
    From what I've read exposure to some of the other solvents that are combined with glyphosate can also be unhealthy. There is supposedly also evidence that over time the use of roundup has a damaging effect on soil microbes and digestive tract microbes in various animal species which can weaken the immune system. I expect the degree to which it is used in the environment can make a difference.
    I am not a farmer and don't pretend to know much about practices. However, I did grow concerned last summer when the farmer sprayed the field directly behind my house 4 different times between June and August. He could not control weeds and kept spraying and working the ground for fall wheat. We had rabbits everywhere and by August most were all gone. We have one hanging around now but that is off from the 6 to 8 we would see every evening and morning for the last 4 years. It was planted to wheat in October so I expected to have pheasants around this spring like usual, but seems to be only one rooster hanging out this spring. The Coop sprayed excessively last summer as well right next to my property. They always wanted to spray when the wind was out of the north so it would drift directly on my garden, go figure. I got a stop put to it but really had to raise hell.