Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crop weed killer killing chicks?

Default Crop weed killer killing chicks?

Has anyone heard anything about crop weed killer killing chicks on the hatch? Several long-time hunters and farmers in Cawker City indicate that over the past 3 years (a stronger version of weed killer was introduced 3 years ago) the pheasant population has declined as a direct result of this agent. Very little birds seen on opening weekend, and those bagged were mature birds. Not a conspiracy theorist, but would be interested if anyone else has heard this?
    Thanks.

There haven't been any new chemistries released in at lest 10 years, so that story isn't true. That is why we are starting to have problems with resistance, because of the lack of new products.

I have always heard RoundUP ready beans are the reason for fewer quail in Missouri.

There sure are a lot more quail in western part on Kansas than Missouri. (not many soy beans in western Kansas)

Roundup is used widely in western Kansas for summer fallow weed control and burn down for no till milo or corn and it has been for decades. I bet there is as high a percentage of acres sprayed with glyphosate in western Kansas then Missouri. Edit to add, almost all of the corn planted in western Kansas is roundup ready and it's sprayed on it too.
    Last edited by fsentkilr; 11-16-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Much of the historical Missouri quail hunting hot spots is now a desert of Fescue pastures. Along with hedge rows dozed out to make larger fields, along with weedy fencelines removed.

Wild turkeys. They eat baby quail and baby pheasants.

They were probably talking about dicamba. Search google. It's been in the news quite a bit lately. I'm no expert but my guess is this what your guys were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by onealmck View Post
    They were probably talking about dicamba. Search google. It's been in the news quite a bit lately. I'm no expert but my guess is this what your guys were talking about.
    Dicamba is 45 years old and has been one of the most popular chemicals for fallow, corn and milo for that long. Dicamba beans are new which allows spraying them post emergence, but dicamba is one of the oldest chemicals around. As far as the quail decline in Missouri and and eastern Kansas, Cheesy has it right, a lot of the blame is on native grasses going to fescue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicamba

http://www.roundup.ca/en/rounduphistory
    Last edited by fsentkilr; 11-16-2017 at 01:35 PM.

all weed killers affect the bird population. Not because of something evil in them... but because they do their job and kill weeds. Weeds are critical for young birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeismydog2 View Post
    all weed killers affect the bird population. Not because of something evil in them... but because they do their job and kill weeds. Weeds are critical for young birds.
    That's what they are for, a farmer can't make a living growing weeds. My point was lack of birds isn't because the chemicals we are spraying are killing them. Actually, if it wasn't for some of these chemicals no till wouldn't be possible. Say bye bye to all the wheat, corn and milo stubble that is planted directly into, it would all be worked.