Thread: First hunt ammo help

Default First hunt ammo help

I'm going out on my first ever pheasant hunt tomorrow and I'm wondering if I need to pick up some different ammo or not, we will be hitting state and federal land so I know I need steel for the federal land and just figured I'd use it for the entire day instead of making sure I don't accidentally use lead while on federal land. I shoot a 12 gauge and have 2 3/4" #6 Kent Fasteel as well as 3" #2, #3, and #4 Federal Black Cloud, stopped at Dicks this morning to get a box of #5 Kent Fasteel and they were all sold out. Will I be fine running the 2 3/4" #6 followed by the 3" #4 or should I try to find some 2 3/4" #5? If it helps I'm a horrible shot...
    Greta - 1 year old Small Munsterlander

Can't help w/ the horrible shot part, but I'd keep it simple. Don't worry about first loads, follow-up loads & that stuff. Use the Black Cloud #3's - improved cylinder choke; maybe skeet if you have one. If you run out of those, use the 2's. Then the 4's. If you still need more shells, you've had a great day but your shooting wasn't maybe the best. Burn up the 6's last. No need to search around town for 5's.

Good advice from A5. When using steel shot for pheasants #4 is as small as you would want to go. #3 steel is a better choice. #5 and #6 steel are too small. Really don't need 3" but if that's what you have go for it. Use an open choke, nothing tighter than IC.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

As others have said, you don't need 3" steel but since you have some 3" #2 and #3 steel loads use one of them. The pheasants will never know the difference if you can put the pattern on their front end!

Good luck.

Understood. This is my first season hunting and itís only been ducks so far, so thatís why I have all the 3Ē shells.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hunter View Post
    As others have said, you don't need 3" steel but since you have some 3" #2 and #3 steel loads use one of them. The pheasants will never know the difference if you can put the pattern on their front end!

Good luck.
    Let us know how you did , exactly what Joe said put the pattern on the front end and most of it takes care of itself , #3 steel is a personal favorite of mine for both Ducks and Pheasants . Concentrate on his head and the ring around the neck and you should be good to go .

Share your success when you get a minute !!!!

I'd like to say I was successful but I wasn't... Saw 4 roosters, only one of them was within range and even then it was a good distance out and I missed it. If you could shoot hens I'm sure I would have had some success as I saw about 10 and at one point I kicked 3 up within 15 yards of me.
    Greta - 1 year old Small Munsterlander

I usually use #4 lead in December, the cheapest I can find.I usually use #2 steel, the cheapest I can find.I don't like Kent,or any of that high dollar stuff.Its really all about the shooter, but some loads pattern better, in some guns, so experiment with chokes, and loads.