Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Central Kansas Report

Default Central Kansas Report

Hunted yesterday all day long in central KS near Great Bend.
    Our group had about 15 people, some quit early and some came in late. We shot 17 pheasants and about 7 quail. This was all private land of crp next to a mix of different crops. Mostly cut.
    I didn’t hunt last year but the group said they shot about three times as much pheasants.
    The biggest flush we saw was about 20 pheasants but that was not on our land. that was a huge crp field next to cut crop.
    On our land the biggest flush was probably 7 birds. Lot of walking for just one bird here and there.
    There wasn’t many roosters that got by us since we were walking close together.

one thing we noticed.... every single flush was a single pheasant. No multiples at all.

Very few flushes with more than 4-7 birds all weekend. The birds are not bunched up at all.

Quote Originally Posted by vrepola View Post
    Very few flushes with more than 4-7 birds all weekend. The birds are not bunched up at all.
    Did you also hunt around central Kansas?

Quote Originally Posted by akp View Post
    one thing we noticed.... every single flush was a single pheasant. No multiples at all.

I haven't got to go yet as we still have beans to cut and are waiting for the sun to shine so we can finish. A friend hunted near Great Bend. They had 8 guys and shot 25 roosters and 10 quail on Saturday. He said the numbers they saw were similar to last year, but there is quite a bit of standing crop where they were and he thinks a lot of the birds are still in it.

More west of central but not far.

Quote Originally Posted by kansaslabman View Post
    North Centeral. From what I can see the bird numbers where I hunted were up and when all the crop comes out it should be better.

Quote Originally Posted by fsentkilr View Post
    I haven't got to go yet as we still have beans to cut and are waiting for the sun to shine so we can finish. A friend hunted near Great Bend. They had 8 guys and shot 25 roosters and 10 quail on Saturday. He said the numbers they saw were similar to last year, but there is quite a bit of standing crop where they were and he thinks a lot of the birds are still in it.
    Think I know who that is. If same guy he should turn off his location setting on his fb page before his sweet spot gets over run with people.

I dislike specific locations being given out but maybe that's just me.