Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Questions on training a slightly gun shy pup

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    846

    Default

    You’re asking Rusty to not hunt his dog for an entire season based on one episode. I think he should definitely hunt the dog a couple more times….soon…..but alone (or maybe with one other person) & with shots limited to 1 or 2. Definitely eliminate larger groups and other dogs. If issues persist, THEN backstep. The dog won’t be “ruined”. But I really would bet that under more intimate circumstances, a shot or 2 isn’t going to scare or distract her. After all, in order for there to be something to fetch in the first place, somebody has to shoot. She will very quickly make the connection between a shot & a bird on the ground.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Iam not "asking Rusty" to do anything. I just expressed my opinion and were it me in his position, I would not hunt the dog until properly conditioned to the gun. Ultimately it is his choice as it is his dog. I lean toward incremental progression in my approach to conditioning a dog to the gun. I have seen dogs ruined by others - never by me. Just my humble opinion.

    Irishwhistler

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IRISHWHISTLER View Post
    Iam not "asking Rusty" to do anything. I just expressed my opinion and were it me in his position, I would not hunt the dog until properly conditioned to the gun. Ultimately it is his choice as it is his dog. I lean toward incremental progression in my approach to conditioning a dog to the gun. I have seen dogs ruined by others - never by me. Just my humble opinion.

    Irishwhistler
    So now we're attacking word choice? I figured we all understood the intended meaning of each and every post in this thread so far. Nothing has been complex. But just to be clear, by using the term "asking", I meant "suggesting, recommending, &/or agreeing w/ the recommendation that......" Irishwhistler, I fully understand you're giving your opinion based on your experience. That's what we all do. Your opinion is 100% valid & appreciated. The attitude, no so much.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    So now we're attacking word choice? I figured we all understood the intended meaning of each and every post in this thread so far. Nothing has been complex. But just to be clear, by using the term "asking", I meant "suggesting, recommending, &/or agreeing w/ the recommendation that......" Irishwhistler, I fully understand you're giving your opinion based on your experience. That's what we all do. Your opinion is 100% valid & appreciated. The attitude, no so much.
    A5 me reply was not meant as an attack on ye words and perhaps I fell short on me interpretation of what it was ye we're stating regarding me suggestion for Rusty to backoff on the hunting until his dog has been properly conditioned to the gun. I meant no animosity toward ye at all and I apologize if it came across that way. When it comes to intro to gunfire I am an advocate of the "make haste slowly" school of thought.

    Irishwhistler 🍀

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IRISHWHISTLER View Post
    A5 me reply was not meant as an attack on ye words and perhaps I fell short on me interpretation of what it was ye we're stating regarding me suggestion for Rusty to backoff on the hunting until his dog has been properly conditioned to the gun. I meant no animosity toward ye at all and I apologize if it came across that way. When it comes to intro to gunfire I am an advocate of the "make haste slowly" school of thought.

    Irishwhistler 🍀
    Hey man, I appreciate your words. But now you're using terms I don't understand. All this ye & me (my?) stuff; not to mention "make haste slowly", which makes absolutely no sense. Kidding....only kidding. Love "make haste slowly".

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    Hey man, I appreciate your words. But now you're using terms I don't understand. All this ye & me (my?) stuff; not to mention "make haste slowly", which makes absolutely no sense. Kidding....only kidding. Love "make haste slowly".
    Aye Mate,
    "That's what she said". Ye get that do ye?

    Cheers Lad,
    Irishwhistler 🍀

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW MN
    Posts
    182

    Default

    It is what I am suggesting and based on what he described and the scenarios that led up to it, I see a pretty good recipe for a gun shy dog. I'm not arrogant enough to call myself an expert, but I have trained and do fix gun shy dogs. Maybe I'm completely wrong and I wouldn't guarantee my opinion is right without actually seeing the dog. For what it's worth, I don't hunt any dog until it is properly introduced to birds and gunfire.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
    It is what I am suggesting and based on what he described and the scenarios that led up to it, I see a pretty good recipe for a gun shy dog. I'm not arrogant enough to call myself an expert, but I have trained and do fix gun shy dogs. Maybe I'm completely wrong and I wouldn't guarantee my opinion is right without actually seeing the dog. For what it's worth, I don't hunt any dog until it is properly introduced to birds and gunfire.
    X2
    Irishwhistler

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    You’re asking Rusty to not hunt his dog for an entire season based on one episode. I think he should definitely hunt the dog a couple more times….soon…..but alone (or maybe with one other person) & with shots limited to 1 or 2. Definitely eliminate larger groups and other dogs. If issues persist, THEN backstep. The dog won’t be “ruined”. But I really would bet that under more intimate circumstances, a shot or 2 isn’t going to scare or distract her. After all, in order for there to be something to fetch in the first place, somebody has to shoot. She will very quickly make the connection between a shot & a bird on the ground.
    Take it easy A5 I think we are entitled to our own opinion.

    Gunshy is one hell of a lot easier to avoid than to fix. The dog is telling the OP he's nervous, the OP was smart and attentive enough to see the signs. With out seeing the dog it's impossible to evaluate the level of "nervousness". I will error on the side of caution, dog training isn't a sprint. Proper gun intro can take a week, or two, or longer.
    He might be fine to take the dog out under less stressful conditions.......or not. To me the risk is not worth it.

    Your opinion might be spot on but what if you are wrong? Gunshyness can be fixed but not always!
    I bet gunshyness has never been fixed over the internet.
    "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
    Take it easy A5 I think we are entitled to our own opinion.

    Gunshy is one hell of a lot easier to avoid than to fix. The dog is telling the OP he's nervous, the OP was smart and attentive enough to see the signs. With out seeing the dog it's impossible to evaluate the level of "nervousness". I will error on the side of caution, dog training isn't a sprint. Proper gun intro can take a week, or two, or longer.
    He might be fine to take the dog out under less stressful conditions.......or not. To me the risk is not worth it.

    Your opinion might be spot on but what if you are wrong? Gunshyness can be fixed but not always!
    I bet gunshyness has never been fixed over the internet.
    Agreed 100%. Opinions welcomed; don't think I hinted otherwise. Smart to pay attention to warning signs. "Proper" gun intro (whatever that means to an owner/trainer) is important & can be time/effort consuming. Gunshyness not fixable online. Many situations can't be diagnosed based on a single incident & without witnessing the incident. It's not always necessary to take the most conservative approach, especially when a person is dealing with his own dog & isn't being paid to train somebody else's.

    Question: What's an OP?

    Rustycage, please let us know what you decide to do & how it works out. Either way, I'll bet I learn something.
    Last edited by A5 Sweet 16; 11-14-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •