Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: 16 Gauge Choke

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Have a poly choke put on it.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 70worm View Post
    Have a poly choke put on it.
    Noooooooo!!!!!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    From Kansas, Stuck in Texas
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Thanks guys for all the help. I have looked in to Briley and have looked at the cost of just having it opened up. I shoot my Remington 870 WM a lot and just leave the Skeet 1 choke on it 90% of the time. A 1-3/8 oz load of 5's hit hard way farther than I thought it would. Was thinking just having this 16 gauge open up to .008 which would be just a hair over IC and be done with it.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Dakota / Arizona
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    Go for the IC or a hair over, you won't be disappointed. And if you ever feel you need a more dense pattern for more added range you can always buy some shells like Prairie Storm that pattern much tighter.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

    Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    From Kansas, Stuck in Texas
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Zeb thanks. In my research an IC for a 16 ga is .007 of constriction. That's why I was thinking .008 or so. Is my research off?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Dakota / Arizona
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    You are way over thinking this. A thousandth of an inch isn't going to matter one way or the other.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

    Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    From Kansas, Stuck in Texas
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Zeb you are right. Thanks

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vrepola View Post
    Zeb thanks. In my research an IC for a 16 ga is .007 of constriction. That's why I was thinking .008 or so. Is my research off?
    I think your research is correct. But in my view, a little tighter now leaves more leeway for later. Go 0.00825. Nice round number. (Or am I not helping?) 0.008, 0.010, whatever it takes.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Minnesoooota
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    You are way over thinking this. A thousandth of an inch isn't going to matter one way or the other.
    +1 and to be honest in my patterning results even .005 does not make that much of a difference.
    Last edited by birdshooter; 11-10-2017 at 01:29 PM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Minnesoooota
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vrepola View Post
    Thanks guys for all the help. I have looked in to Briley and have looked at the cost of just having it opened up. I shoot my Remington 870 WM a lot and just leave the Skeet 1 choke on it 90% of the time. A 1-3/8 oz load of 5's hit hard way farther than I thought it would. Was thinking just having this 16 gauge open up to .008 which would be just a hair over IC and be done with it.
    Just so you know, having it opened up to .008 is no guarantee it is going to give you the pattern you desire. Choke tubes give you options in case one constriction doesn't perform as advertised. Remember regardless of what choke denomination is stamped on the barrel or choke tube does not always transcend to what pattern percentage you will get from it. As Zeb stated quality plated lead shot generally tightens up patterns a bit and with Steel patterns are even tighter yet.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •