Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 16 Gauge Choke

Default 16 Gauge Choke

Ok guys and gals. I bought a new 16ga Winchester Model 12. This is not a collector peice as it has the Simmons rib added as well as new butt stock and has been refinished. It is. 28" full choke barrel and patterns tight. I have shot it at 30 and 40 yards with 3 differ loads. All loads patterned just about the same. I want to open the choke up but I am having a hard time deciding. I hunt over pointers 100% of the time since I hunt alone. Most of my shots on roosters are inside 30 yards. So I'm looking for your opinions on the best choke for shots to 35 yards or so. Mostly I use 5 shot. Thanks for your help.

I would go with a improved cylinder or a light modified. I hunt over pointers and most of the time my I/C choked barrel is all I ever need. Most of my guns are fixed choke I/C and M but the ones that have choke tubes I put in the cyl bore and I/C tubes if I have them. I have a BUL that carries an I/C tube. I think an open choke will kill a lot farther out than a lot of people believe because of the quality of our shot shells.
    AM
    Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius.
    - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

I've shot a 1960 Sweet Sixteen choked IC for several years and find that the IC is all I ever need. I shoot mostly Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads with either #5 or #6 shot. I also have some Federal Premium PF loads in #5 shot. For your shooting open that Model 12 up to IC, shoot premium loads and you will never look back. Good luck.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Quote Originally Posted by airmedic1 View Post
    I would go with a improved cylinder or a light modified. I hunt over pointers and most of the time my I/C choked barrel is all I ever need. Most of my guns are fixed choke I/C and M but the ones that have choke tubes I put in the cyl bore and I/C tubes if I have them. I have a BUL that carries an I/C tube. I think an open choke will kill a lot farther out than a lot of people believe because of the quality of our shot shells.
    AM
    Yup...I like .010 and .015 of choke.
    A nice discussion and chart
    https://trulockchokes.com/basic_choke_information.html

I shoot a Sweet 16 95% of the time at pheasants - modified choke - and am very happy with the performance. Shoot a 20 ga. or full-choked 16 ga. Mod 12 the other 5%. About 10-15% of that time I switch to full, but I've got the advantage of screw in tubes. Nothing wrong with modified inside 35 yards. Knowing that all barrel/choke/load combinations pattern differently & there's no way to accurately predict the effects of your gunsmithing, you might consider going modified first just to try it. You can always open it up more (I assume - I'm no gunsmith). But if you go IC right away & aren't happy, you're stuck with it. Something to chew on.
    Last edited by A5 Sweet 16; 11-08-2017 at 10:20 AM.

I had a full choked wingmaster opened to skeet 2, which is a fine compromise choke for fixed choke upland bird hunting.

My o/u is improved/mod, supposedly, but I think it mics out to skeet2/improved mod.

If it's a "shooter" M12, Briley will thread it and give you 3 high quality chokes for $250 + shipping. Getting a gunsmith to just open a choke will probably cost you about $100 and may or may not be the answer you were looking to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Chestle View Post
    If it's a "shooter" M12, Briley will thread it and give you 3 high quality chokes for $250 + shipping. Getting a gunsmith to just open a choke will probably cost you about $100 and may or may not be the answer you were looking to find.
    Yep, where there's a will (& a checkbook) there's a way. I'm curious....any of you who've looked into prices for reaming recently, what's the going rate? Last time I had it done was about 30 years ago on a full-choked 870. Cost me $25.

I had tubes added to a 20ga 1100 a couple months back and it was $103...including the shipping to and from. Mike Orlen did the work. I bought the choke tubes from Brownells.

You can find his info on the "gunsmithing forum" over on shotgun world. You get 20% off his price if you are a member of the board. He has high praise of his work... but sounds like he is sometimes hard to get a hold of which turns some off. I just boxed my barrel up with a note of what I wanted done and the pricing from the list on SGW and mailed it to him. I had it back in a week.

I think his price for "opening to more open choke" is $50 or $55.

Quote Originally Posted by Chestle View Post
    If your Model 12 is a shooter and not a wall hanger I'd spend the money and have it threaded for screw-in chokes. With the proper chokes you can then also feel safe to shoot steel shot through it.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016