Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Checking in ...

Good to see some activity on here!

Kraig ... text and we'll find a time to get out.

All ... I got out on Monday with a friend, hunting near Des Moines, and we got our 6 in a couple hours. Saw decent numbers, with corn still standing. I also found myself with a free day today, and decided last minute to jump in the truck with Gunner and my four month old pup, Piper. We headed up towards Jefferson and hit a field I've been hunting for better than a decade. The grass looked great, surrounding corn was picked within the last week, so I was expecting better result than that realized. We saw one hen and one rooster, mostly hunting edges. I took the rooster on a right to left cross, then exited the field not wanting to put any more pressure on what appeared to be a low bird population.

I stopped at one more field on the drive home, some big block CRP with blue stem near 8 foot tall. Less than 5 minutes in Gunner put me on approximately 12 pheasant, all flushing at once, and just a hair outside of what I was comfortable shooting. I let them fly, simply taking in the sight of so many birds. On we pushed, towards the south edge, working east. Not a bird seen nor scented by Gunner. Now on the far east edge, working north, adjacent to picked corn. Beep, beep, beep ... Gunner locks up and I walk in. Up flush a CLOUD of at least 25-30 pheasant, unlike I'd seen in quite some time. Mostly hens, but a bunch of roosters too. I drew on two of the roosters in the bunch, dropping each for a rather easy double and my limit for the day. Out we walk, Gunner pointing more roosters. Was fun to say the least!
    - Nate

That's great! You're making me rethink if I should drive a little further west than my original weekend plan of hunting near story city.

Can you guys help educate a MO hunter? How does the lack oof corn, or more corn harvested help with pheasant hunting? I was thinking that was vital for them or good cover? I made the voyage to the furthest NW point of MO in hopes of bagging a rooster from my home state to no avail. Saw a fair amount of quail. I have an uncle with the family farm in Centervill, IA and thought about going up that way.

The pheasants use the corn to escape the grass and feed. And since most donít hunt standing corn, that means oneís access to pheasants near standing corn is usually quite limited.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpope View Post
    Can you guys help educate a MO hunter? How does the lack oof corn, or more corn harvested help with pheasant hunting? I was thinking that was vital for them or good cover? I made the voyage to the furthest NW point of MO in hopes of bagging a rooster from my home state to no avail. Saw a fair amount of quail. I have an uncle with the family farm in Centervill, IA and thought about going up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by nstric View Post
    The pheasants use the corn to escape the grass and feed. And since most donít hunt standing corn, that means oneís access to pheasants near standing corn is usually quite limited.
    I see. Well, I probably went about it wrong because I hunted standing corn. I was going off of how we had hunted in SD with a guide, in the past. Pretty much only hunted down corn or milo rows in SD and shot lots of birds. Why is it most dont hunt standing corn. I apologize for the ignorance, just trying to learn.

I see. Well, I probably went about it wrong because I hunted standing corn. I was going off of how we had hunted in SD with a guide, in the past. Pretty much only hunted down corn or milo rows in SD and shot lots of birds. Why is it most dont hunt standing corn. I apologize for the ignorance, just trying to learn.

Was the SD corn a large field or a piece only a few dozen rows wide ?

Quote Originally Posted by McFarmer View Post
    Was the SD corn a large field or a piece only a few dozen rows wide ?
    They were rows of corn, I would say 30-50 feet wide and half a mile long. Cut on at least one side. He would run at least two dogs. We had gunner on each side and one in the middle and then a blocker at the end. When I hunted this past weekend in MO, it was me and one other guy with my one dog. I mainly hunt alone.

They were rows of corn, I would say 30-50 feet wide and half a mile long. Cut on at least one side. He would run at least two dogs. We had gunner on each side and one in the middle and then a blocker at the end. When I hunted this past weekend in MO, it was me and one other guy with my one dog. I mainly hunt alone.

The corn fields folks here are talking about are of the 40 to 160 acres or more. The birds can run across the rows to elude.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarmer View Post
    The corn fields folks here are talking about are of the 40 to 160 acres or more. The birds can run across the rows to elude.
    ah ha. That makes sense!

Weíre up in the spirit lake area for the week. Having a very tough time. Lots of log flushes, and lots of miles with no birds.