Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Late season pheasants - Full choke? Modified?

Quote Originally Posted by birdshooter View Post
    Would shortening the stock a little help in mounting the gun easier?

The reason I ask is sometimes a perfectly fitting stock when in shirt sleeves can become a little long when adding extra clothing or a coat and it can snag on the clothing. Not sure that is your issue or not, just a thought.

Regarding choke. If you are finding yourself slow to the mount I would most certainly move up to at least a Modified choke which will extend your effective range out another 10-15 yards from an IC.
    Thanks for your response. All three guns are semi-auto and have stocks cut as far as possible. The action spring housing limits the cut. The short stock helps, but with a coat/jacket et al sometimes does get hung up or I don't find the right spot, on what's left of my shoulder.

Going to try Mod. on my next outing...

If you're shooting a single barrel gun and hunting spooky pheasants, a full or improved modified might be best. With my double, I shoot modified and full late season.
    - From the office of Browning, Colt, Winchester & Savage
    - Kansas: Big Cock Country

Late season my SKB O/U sports IM over M. Seems to be about right.

Thanks for the input/message. Assume the Mod fires first...

Can you tell the difference between the two?

I think I can. I've used this setup when shooting trap and the IM does seem to allow me to break the clay into a few more small pieces/bigger puffs of dust than the M. It's not a real big difference but I think there is some. The F tube for this gun is really tight on the pattern board. The IM is between the M and F on the board but not a huge difference over the M.

i shoot skeet out of my auto's all season...I shoot
    sk1/sk2 out of all my doubles...o/u and s x s...1 1/4 oz of #5 lead out of my 12 ga auto...from opener to the close...skeet choke...birds fall...

BB: Skeet the whole season...all close shots? What distance is this arrangement effective?

This is good to know - thanks.

all distances...works for me...a buddy even goes cyl all season...he brings down some crazy long shots!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    BB: Skeet the whole season...all close shots? What distance is this arrangement effective?

This is good to know - thanks.
    Jonny,

May I make a recommendation?

Since your issue seems to be mainly your ability or inability to mount the gun quickly / efficiently, how about focusing on practicing your gun mount at home? You can even wear the same clothing you would when hunting. In the carry position you would normally use when hunting, practice mounting the gun to your shoulder whiLe focusing on an object across the room. Do this deliberately at first until you get muscle memory working then if need be increase the speed a little. I think you will find that if you do this every night for a couple weeks you will find it to help quite a bit. No need to be excessive maybe 20-25 times a night. Just remember to duplicate as best as possible your normal low gun ready position and step into the shot with your lead foot.

Give it a try you may be surprised. I instruct some of my youth league members at our local Sporting Clays club to do the same.

Oh and be sure you gun is UNLOADED....
    Last edited by birdshooter; 11-07-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Double post. Deleted.
    Last edited by birdshooter; 11-07-2017 at 10:37 AM.