Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pheasant Tactics

I have a lab also that is very aggressive on birds.My biggest problem was keeping her close.I use a tone on her collar that works great for her.Every
    Once in a while she gets on a running Bird and takes off i let her go and give her the evil look when she gets back from flushing bird.
    I have now got another dog that is a pudelpointer which is 8 months old
    She also likes to retrieve .That is her reward to holding point.I don't want my lab stealing her point. It might make her jump bird.And I don't believe
    That I can stop lab from doing that or want to.That's what labs do.
    So for now I am going to hunt them separetly.
    I do agree with Hs Strut I will not change the way my lab hunts just because I am hunting with a pointer.I have also heard that some pointers
    Don't like to retrieve so that would work out ok
    Last edited by James O; 11-07-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HS Strut View Post
    Birdshooter,
    Great questions.
    The two Labs have hunted together and get along well. First time the setters were ever together. They all existed rather well I think? The owner of the setters kept them VERY close. Closer than our Labs at times. The setters never really pointed anything. We told the guy that we weren't sure we could get our Labs to honor a point because we've never asked them to and he was ok with that. We all got along fine. We hunted in a line and the dogs were usually 50 yards apart. Sometimes farther or closer depending on the field. I had those same concerns, but they hunted together real well. I thought he should've let his setters run more? I think he was just trying to get along? Just as I was. I"ll tell you this: If we hunt together again and my dog gets birdy, we are going to kill that bird. I will call her off of a point or try and keep her out of another dogs space if it's on a bird. But I'm not going to burn the neck off my dog again when we are about to put some birds up.
    Myself, If I hunt with anyone it's a buddy with 3 Setters and since I run Shorthairs it's not an issue as they will all honor each other. However, maybe once a year I will also be in a group with another friend who runs a Lab. His dog normally will hunt in front of him and has not interfered with any of mine while on point. So... yes they can co-exist as long as you have some control. I've seen guides use Flushers and Pointers together. Pointing dog locates the bird, then the flusher is sent in for the flush, while the Pointers are staunch from shot thru fall, however these dogs are highly trained and normally the flushers are used for flushing and retrieving the bird only.

Quote Originally Posted by James O View Post
    I have a lab also that is very aggressive on birds.My biggest problem was keeping her close.I use a tone on her collar that works great for her.Every
    Once in a while she gets on a running Bird and takes off i let her go and give her the evil look when she gets back from flushing bird.
    I have now got another dog that is a pudelpointer which is 8 months old
    She also likes to retrieve .That is her reward to holding point.I don't want my lab stealing her point. It might make her jump bird.And I don't believe
    That I can stop lab from doing that or want to.That's what labs do.
    So for now I am going to hunt them separetly.
    I do agree with Hs Strut I will not change the way my lab hunts just because I am hunting with a pointer.I have also heard that some pointers
    Don't like to retrieve so that would work out ok
    That's fine as long as everyone in the group understands the risks vs rewards. What can potentially happen to a Pointing dog when another dog blows thru their points constantly is that it can then turn into a competition. The pointing dog wants that bird too and if not trained to that degree will break when the other dog comes thru and now you have a flusher instead of a pointer.

Yeah, we all understood what we were getting into as far a different style of dogs. We had no problems with that...great group of guys and dogs.

I was just frustrated at the slow pace and lack of what I see as dog work. I felt the hunters flushed as many birds as the dogs did and there really werenít any points to speak of. I think next time we just need to discuss this a little better amongst ourselves. I donít think Iím going to anger anyone in my group if Iím on the right side of a line and my dogs tail is flagging so fast itís about to liftoff like a helicopter and I let her work and flush 4 birds.

"as long as everyone in the group understands "

That is true for any group of hunters, but overlooked by so many. There should be complete communication from someone, as to how the group will hunt, what each dog can and can't do, etc. Don't leave it up to chance, hoping that everyone is on the same page. Someone needs to be in charge, even if that just means asking everyone for their input. "Leader" doesn't have to make the decisions, just make sure that everyone is on the same page regarding dogs, method of covering field, etc.

Good luck everyone! About to head out and get camp set up, so we can be fresh tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Logical View Post
    "as long as everyone in the group understands "

That is true for any group of hunters, but overlooked by so many. There should be complete communication from someone, as to how the group will hunt, what each dog can and can't do, etc. Don't leave it up to chance, hoping that everyone is on the same page. Someone needs to be in charge, even if that just means asking everyone for their input. "Leader" doesn't have to make the decisions, just make sure that everyone is on the same page regarding dogs, method of covering field, etc.

Good luck everyone! About to head out and get camp set up, so we can be fresh tomorrow morning.
    SOMEBODY has to make decisions though, or people won't be on the same page. And group decisions are hard to arrive at. Either every question comes down to a vote or there's a leader making decisions using input others are willing to offer. Speak now....